CSCC Snetterton 05-06/04.08

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent the weekend at Snetterton. Was sunny, then damp, then hailed, then rained, then snowed then sunny again. Bit windy too.

1) TVR through the Esses.
IMG_0170.jpg

2) Lancia Fulvia 1600HF through Russells
IMG_0021.jpg

3) Clan Crusader through Russells
IMG_0009.jpg

4) Dallara F398 through Esses
IMG_0172.jpg

5) Speads speeds through Russells
IMG_0038.jpg

6) Two Reynards. Car 41 (Reynard 883) driven by my brother on his way to a dramatic 1st race win (started on back of grid) passing Reynard 903 driven by Andy Woolley.
IMG_0547.jpg

7) Reynard 883 again. I was ready for a chequered flag shot, but some git dropped their car in a dangerous place and the race was red flagged 2 laps early.
IMG_0570.jpg

8) Told you it was wet...
IMG_0296-2.jpg

Please go ahead. I won't cry. This is what the sharing forums are for. Unless you're going to be really nasty, then I'm probably going to be more critical with myself. Car in picture 6 & 7 is running a "Competition Fabrications" exhaust manifold and cooling pipes :)

I'll add my own comments:

I wasn't happy with any of the shots on day 1, to the extent that I went through all the menus on the camera and reset them to factory defaults just in case I'd buggered something and not notices. I also shot the Sunday on RAW & JPG to see what the difference was... I was happier with the Sunday shots, compared to Saturday, but know there is room for improvement.

Secondly. Colour - I'm reading this on my wife's laptop and the colours look pale and washed out. My own computer has a supposedly calibrated output (Pantone Huey). Maybe I'll borrow my wifes TFT monitor and see what difference that makes. I wonder if its viewing angles?

Thirdly. I am growing to loathe Lightroom. Its slow compared to RSP but RSP doesn't support 40D files. I've tried RAW Therapee, Capture One 4 and they're not geared to the way I want to work. Not sure if its my PC or what. RSP was lovely, fast and slick. Maybe I need more RAM... Its a P4 runing at 3.4 Ghz with 1.5Gb RAM running XP.

Fourthly. I need to leave more room in the frame to give more options for creative cropping. This would include using the 1.4 TC less.

Fiftly. I need to sit down and get sharpening sorted out in my own head. These haven't been sharpened, USM, high pass or whatever. I think I need to sort out some PS actions or something like that.

Equipment: Canon 40D with Sigma 100-300, occassionally with x1.4 Sigma teleconverter. Shutter priority with Evaluative metering, shooting in RAW mostly. Monopod attached. Class One doofus operating controls. AI focus using centre focus point. Burst mode enabled just in case something exciting happens, but I try not to use it too much. White balance set to cloudy from memory.

Over to you Gary...

I'd be tempted to stick the WB on Auto. Some of those don't look quite right with the cloudy white balance - too orange - and Auto generally works 99.999999999% of the time. I suppose in RAW you can change it quite easily anyway.

Over to you Gary...

I dont think theres anything much i can say after that :)
I think you already have a good idea whats wrong
And I'm not sure I should be commenting on a car with comp fab exhausts ;)

Theres is something lacking in the shots that I just cant put my finger on. I thought it was the jpeg quality setting, but you've got it set to 8, which should be good enough.. Does your host reduce the jpeg quality in anyway (i know fotopic does).

As Mike says, auto white balance is your best bet. From what i remember about lightroom it also has an excellent auto white balance setting that you can use on the RAW shots should the camera get it wrong.

I normally use Aperture for my post processing, but its an Apple only program so not much use to you. I did have to use lightroom for a while, and i thought it sharpening properties were really good.

now for the photos (remembering there is no right or wrong, just a humble opinion)

1) This one needs a little sharpening to make it really work. I also think that a slower shutter speed would have made it more exciting. I would also prefer a lower down point of view, but if this is the bomb hole i dont think you could get much lower there. There is something about the blue of the car that made me think the jpeg quality was low. The gradient between the shades of blue looks quite sharp. What I mean is that where light blue and dark blue meet its noticeable rather than a smooth transition.

2) Would like to have seen the jag in the frame too. Dont be scared to use a different focus point other than centre. I think this shot would have been better if the main car was still the focal point, but in the left hand bottom third of the frame. Maybe a slower shutter speed on this one too to blur the jag and keep the lancia in focus. Or even a larger aperture to give a shallow DOF and blur the Jag. But you would need to make sure the Lancia wheels were hidden if the wide aperture gave you too fast shutter speed. Take advantage of the low light as it can let you use wide aperture, and slow shutter speed.

3) A lot of the comments on number 2 can be applied to number 3. The cropped cars are a bit distracting in this one.

4) As Mike says, this one has an orange tinge to it. Comments on number 1 also apply to this one

5) Good shot, but spoiled by the roll hoop being chopped off on the second car. The reds also seem to suffer from the same prob as the blues in shot 1. Focus point in bottom third of the frame would have improved this shot IMHO

6 + 7) Congrats to your brother! Must have been the exhaust that gave him the extra power :)
If 7 had both cars like 6, and had the same composition without the barrier and without the orange marshalls it would be an excellent shot. But that would prob be impossible, as zooming out to get both cars would mean you would have trouble not getting the barrier. Although its not to everyones taste, this is when i sometimes find tilting the camera and getting an angle comes in handy. If you'd tilted the camera about 15 degrees you could have lost the barrier from the shot. Also a shame to have chopped off a tiny bit of the other cars front wing.
Having said that, number 7 is my fave shot. nice colours, nice shutter speed.

8) a nice shot that i think could have been improved by having the car somewhere other than the centre. Putting it in the left third (or even bottom let third) of the frame would have given you more of the trail of spray.

If you like, send me the RAW file of the first TVR, and the F3 car the same corner and I'll process them through Aperture and see if it does a better job than Lightroom.

The local rag published #6 today and a podium shot. Shame they credited Steve Cliffe and not Andrew Cliffe.

gutted

they did the opposite with me last year. they published a shots from the 2cv 24 hours and put my name on it... wasnt even my shot! They other guy must have been so annoyed.

did you have a media pass for that race?

No media pass for Snett, so was shooting from the public areas - which for Snetterton aren't too bad as JP hasn't sent his fencing team up to Norfoook yet.

You sat through both laps of the 2CV 24-hr race? :eek:

You sat through both laps of the 2CV 24-hr race? :eek:

funny you should say that..
i took 30 shots from night practice, 2 shots from the start of the race, then i went to my parents and left my mates to camp (their choice) in the monsoon.
(before anyone asks, i didnt have a media pass, so it wasnt wasted)

Back