Beginner Curiosity Killed the Cat!

128Gb SD cards are now cheap, less than what I was paying for 16Gb cards not so long ago...and even at last week's trade fair in Hammersmith 64Gb seems to be the starting point for cards now. I thought 32Gb was enough, but when you start going blazing guns are sporting or racing events on a D850 your cards fill up very quickly.

As said above it depends where you are going and on the weather. If near towns and in good settled weather, probably not even a coat.

If on the hills then it likely to be full metal jacket - waterproof coat and trousers, food, drink, sometimes compass and map(depending how well I know the area), fully charged phone, headtorch, whistle, bum mat.

One thing I take now in remote areas but have not, fortunately, had to use so far is a storm shelter( eg https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk...MImM_bmonzgwMV5pxQBh1MYgCqEAQYAyABEgJ23fD_BwE ). If you have a tumble somewhere remote it will provide protection from the elements and is easily seen if you need help.

One other thing for going to remote areas is either leave your route with someone or at least tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Dave

As said above it depends where you are going and on the weather. If near towns and in good settled weather, probably not even a coat.

If on the hills then it likely to be full metal jacket - waterproof coat and trousers, food, drink, sometimes compass and map(depending how well I know the area), fully charged phone, headtorch, whistle, bum mat.

One thing I take now in remote areas but have not, fortunately, had to use so far is a storm shelter( eg https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk...MImM_bmonzgwMV5pxQBh1MYgCqEAQYAyABEgJ23fD_BwE ). If you have a tumble somewhere remote it will provide protection from the elements and is easily seen if you need help.

One other thing for going to remote areas is either leave your route with someone or at least tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Dave

Also worth taking a storm shelter if you know you're going to be waiting around a lot. We've shot Milky Way before early hours at coastal places, nowhere near the car, and then hung around a couple of hours for sunrise. Mine isn't actually a full storm shelter, it's more of a smaller emergency cover/bag, but still keeps the elements at bay!

Back