Curlew Sandpiper

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
A juvenile, seen at the weekend at Draycote Water. Quite a tricky bird to photo as it rarely posed with a catchlight. Rarely stopped moving, for that matter!

However, if you are prepared to sit on some uncomfortable rocks for a couple of hours and take hundreds of shots, you usually manage a couple of "keepers". :)

4959852898_b3cb475a77_o.jpg

4959853166_07ecaa7c44_o.jpg

4959852390_c8618c48d4_o.jpg

Was a good morning and met up with a few friends, old and new. Having taken some distant curlew sand shots the weekend before, it was great to see one at much closer quarters, and meant I could stop being envious of Roy's great shots. :)

Canon 50D, 500mm F4 + 1.4TC, tripod mounted.

Nicely done Pete, especially 1 & 3 (y)

Watched 2 fly in at Belvide on Sunday, then land well out of range.

Nice set Pete. Would like a few good shots of these myself, only ones I managed were taken from distance and of poor quality.

Three lovely shots of a bird I have never seen live. I just love the reflection in 3

Some great shots there Pete, looks like it was worth the few hours wait!

A large pecentage of bird photography is patience, and it certainly payed off here Pete, well done :)

Nice series Pete (y) I agree about them being very busy, I was shooting a couple of juveniles last week that were feeding with Turnstone and they were hyperactive. Your patience paid off here thought, three smashing shots (y)(y)(y)

Great set! I love the last one with the reflection (y)

All 3 shots have merit but I think the classic No 1 wins.

"Watched 2 fly in at Belvide on Sunday, then land well out of range."...I thought BELVIDE meant " land well out of range. "....lol

Keith (y)

"Watched 2 fly in at Belvide on Sunday, then land well out of range."...I thought BELVIDE meant " land well out of range. "....lol

Keith (y)

It does at the moment, they should rename it "Puddle" rather than "Reservoir"

Agree with all the above comments Pete, well done. :clap:

Love the shots, cant pic one out but the catchlight in the eyes really brings it to life.

I was at Rutland Water (lens testing) this week when some birders were getting very exited about seeing one of these, he is a pretty chap!

#1 is a great view of the whole bird, but for character I like #3 with the reflection.

Lovely stuff(y)

Back