Curtis P40

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
3999426734_da0b67c650_o.jpg

Taken at RAF Cosford earlier in the year.

C&C most welcome

no, it was originally an US Army Air Corps fighter coming into service just in time for the USA to enter WWII.
this one is a P-40M that was delivered to the RCAF in 1943.

digitalfailure, personal opinion but I'm not a fan of angled shots & the clouds make it obvious that she was in fact flying horizontal when shot.
also fuselage is a bit much in shadow for me & it looks a wee bit soft but that could be due to resizing/flickr or the fact that it's 1/160mm @400mm.

Not an expert in any way but isn't this a flying tiger (without the teeth).

...more or less - Flying Tigers or the AVG flew a variety of aircraft most famously the P-36 Mohawk, and P-40 Kittyhawk (though only called that in RAF service, I think)... They only ever had about a dozen aircraft in theatre and by the simple expedient of painting the spinners different colours on every mission, managed to fool the Japanese into thinking they had many more...
Read about Claire L Chenault's exploits in the book 'The Ragged, Rugged Warriors'...

Hi, thanks for the comments

It is a little bit soft post flickrizing :( it's hard enough to get a matt finished plane to look sharp in the first place. Using a 400 prime on a gorgeous sunny day while trying to get a good amount of prop blur is a skill in it's self too :D

Re the clouds, yup I hold my hand up......I wanted something a bit different and the display wasn't exactly coming up with the goods in that department so the jaunty angle had to be done .

Back