Customs on a 2nd hand D3 from America

Edit My Images
Yes
How much would the customs charges be to import a 2nd hand D3 from the US?

Is it just 15% ontop of what I paid for it as well as the clearance fee (which is like £10 or something isnt it)?

So for example, if I bought one for £2,000 total price, how much VAT would I pay on it?

As there's no duty on digital cameras (body in this case) you'll just get 15% vat on the value of the camera, plus any handling charge added by the carrier.

Talking generally here for info, when I say 'value' it usually means the same price that you paid for it and declare as the value. If you were to ask the seller to put a price paid of say £500 on the paperwork when you've paid maybe £3000, to avoid tax, then the chances are you could attract the attention of the customs inspector (who may or may not know what he's looking at). He would then revalue it and charge accordingly. I don't know if he would impose a penalty, but he probably has that option.

Further to this difference between value and price paid, I have a friend who bought a used lens from the US for something like £70. The seller bizarrely declared a value of £200 on the documentation (he said for insurance purposes). My friend was charged vat + duty based on that £200, totalling in the region of £40. He was somewhat less than happy.

The listing on eBay says that the seller wont declare the item as a gift, or declare the value any lower than what it is...so not worried about that.

It's just the amount, so i'd pay roughly £300 in import VAT...

£2,300 for a D3 is pretty good...

The listing on eBay says that the seller wont declare the item as a gift, or declare the value any lower than what it is...so not worried about that.

It's just the amount, so i'd pay roughly £300 in import VAT...

£2,300 for a D3 is pretty good...

But isn't that roughly what a used UK D3 would go for on Ebay anyway?

Is VAT charged on imported second-hand items? It wouldn't be charged on second-hand items bought within the UK.....

Is VAT charged on imported second-hand items? It wouldn't be charged on second-hand items bought within the UK.....

From the HMRC website:

"All non-EU goods imported into the UK are subject to import VAT. It is charged at the appropriate rate that applies to identical goods sold in the UK. It is applied to protect UK businesses from unfair advantage from cheaper foreign imports"

"Why have my second-hand goods been charged duty?
Any goods which have been purchased are considered a commercial transaction and are therefore subject to import duty and/or VAT"

You'll also need to check at what rate HMRC convert the $->£, it's not necessarily going to work the same as Ebay's rate.

If the converted $->£ amount (including shipping) comes to more than £2000 then you'll need to complete a C88 as well......

VAT is charged even if you own the item and you are bringing it into the UK (even if you shipped it out of the UK initially) - so if you have lived abroad for however many years and shipped some stuff back over here, you would be charged, unless you can prove it has already been paid - happened to my boyfriend a few years ago, fortunately the item in question was bought in the UK and he still had the receipt 6 years later - otherwise he would have had to pay the VAT again.

8utters,if it's the D3 that's got a BIN of $3399 + shipping, then that would be £2400 +vat = £2760 + RM fee......

Surely it would be £2,068 (that's the BIN price) + Shipping (£25) + VAT (£300) = £2393 + Customs release fee.

Better than any D3's i've seen used or new in the UK. Better than brand new from HK...best price I found was on One Stop Digital for £2,600 including shipping and customs.

StewartR - VAT wouldn't be charged on 2nd hand items bought within the UK becuase the tax for it would have already been paid by the person who bought it initially.

best price I found was on One Stop Digital for £2,600 including shipping and customs.

That does not include import duty or VAT, be careful, what they say is that they will refund any VAT charged, big difference.

The item will be sent, marked as 'gift' with a value below the duty threshold declared.

From their FAQ

The prices you pay Onestop-Digital do not include VAT and import duty. Your government may charge you import tax and duty. If you are asked to pay such charges, please pay these charges and we will reimburse you in full. Please refer to our "VAT Free" Guarantee for more details.

Back