Cyclocross

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Took my 7 year old daughter to race in the clubs cyclocross, and thought I would take some snaps.

Light conditions were very poor and its my first time learning to pan with the camera.
I took 330 shots, which 126 are keepers while only 5 are good enough for posting.
These were taken with my cheap 75-300mm MK1 canon lens so dont expect L glass quality pictures :shake:
Seem to be using this lens quite a lot so I might look into purchasing a quality one.

Comments welcome.

No1
063-2-Edit-21.jpg

No2
290-2-Edit-21.jpg

No3
101-2-Edit-21.jpg

No4
300-2-Edit-21.jpg

No5
193-2-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Well done mate (y) only thing I would say is 'give them a crop' , no 5 is screaming out for it. What was your shutter for them?

Iain

No1 shutter speed was 1/60 the others were shot at 1/100 as I was getter too many blurred shots.
The F4 lens didnt like the faster shutter speeds due to the low light.

As for cropping would you crop tight to the riders?

Thanks for the feedback Ian (y)

Simon.

To be honest, they are all abit boring. They all seem the same, experiment with getting closer to the riders and use the rule of thirds. Keep at it though ;)

1/60 - 100 is pretty good panning mate for that sort of shot, ok apart from no 1 they are slightly soft but at that speed you done well. For a side on shot like this I would never go above 1/250. As for cropping, yeah I feel that cyclocross and MTB are perfect for tight cropping and short lens stuff. My slideshow of the scottish champs, used a 17-35 mostly for it and got in very close....nice and muddy!
Iain

Thanks Ian, I will give em a crop later.
My plan was to start off with the 75-300mm then change back to the 18-55mm halfway through the race.
Got carried away with correct settings and before I knew it race over! :bang:

Chase779, Yeah I can see why you have said that they are boring,
Will get closer shots next time and hopefully more muddier as today was a new course on fresh grass, no mud :shake:

Thanks for the feedback (y) Keep it coming

Wouldn't say they were boring but I don't like the tape going through the middle of them. You get the same sort of problem with motox, the only way to fix it is get lower or closer :)

Wouldn't say they were boring but I don't like the tape going through the middle of them. You get the same sort of problem with motox, the only way to fix it is get lower or closer :)

Or stand on the tape :LOL:

Did think about backgrounds whilst taking shots but that tape is a nightmare, its everywhere! :D

Here are a few of my X shots from Boxing Day - sorry about the border won't look good on here:

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_134.jpg

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_198.jpg

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_327.jpg

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_364.jpg

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_403.jpg

Boxing%20Day%20X%2007%20SJVW_407.jpg

If this was my first attempted at panning (which I haven't done yet) I'd be happy.

Considering the conditions and the lens speed you used I think you did quite well. rhodopsin's are very good, but looking at these I'd say hes been using this technique for a while, and he does appear to have an enviable kit list. They also give you a v good idea of what can be achieved with a little practice.

rhodospin; Love no1 shot, great angle and sense of speed.
Some cracking shots on your site and a nice kit list to match (y)

taxi; Thanks very much, yes I am happy for first attempt.
I shall be taking plenty more of these cyclocross shots and hope to upgrade my lens soon.

Added below two more that I've done a close crop on.
Seem a bit soft to me now I've posted them.

No1
311-2-Edit-2.jpg

No2
235-2-Edit-2.jpg

rhodospin; Love no1 shot, great angle and sense of speed.
Some cracking shots on your site and a nice kit list to match (y)

taxi; Thanks very much, yes I am happy for first attempt.
I shall be taking plenty more of these cyclocross shots and hope to upgrade my lens soon.

Added below two more that I've done a close crop on.
Seem a bit soft to me now I've posted them.

No1
311-2-Edit-2.jpg

No2
235-2-Edit-2.jpg

Hi Byrhtnoth

Will you be at the National X Champs in the West Midlands this weekend?

Regards
rhodopsin

Will you be at the National X Champs in the West Midlands this weekend?

Hi rhodospin
Unfortunatly not.
Would'nt mind going as I bet its a good photo opportunity,
as rain + mud + bicycle = good shots. :D

Good potrait shot of Josh Papworth!

Regards Simon

Hi rhodospin
Unfortunatly not.
Would'nt mind going as I bet its a good photo opportunity,
as rain + mud + bicycle = good shots. :D

Good potrait shot of Josh Papworth!

Regards Simon

You've spotted the BC link then ;-)

muddy%20x.jpg

I've got to find that one of Josh

This was taken in Nov 2007...
Dsc_0373copy3.jpg

Got in close with a 24mm lens and used the flashgun with a shutter speed of 1/15 sec.

Paul

See you at the weekend, rhodopsin.

Hi Rich

Yeah - I think so, I took all my equipment out yesterday and had a look over. Seems okay. We'll see.

Adam

Back