D200 External power supply

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know of a gadget to run my D200 outdoors on an external power supply (looking to expose continously for atleast 4 hours). :shrug::thinking:

wow, whatcha gonna be doing then?

btw, no, i have no idea, but i am nosy!
hehe
/end of pointless post

How long would the normal batteries last?

I know there is an adapter but cant think of the product name, think its and AH-21 or something. Quite pricey to iirc

How long would the normal batteries last?

I know there is an adapter but cant think of the product name, think its and AH-21 or something. Quite pricey to iirc

Well it seems that a 50min exposure after a full charge is near the limit. You got to bare in mind that for such long exposures you have to have "long exposure noise reduction" set ON. This means after a 50min exposure your looking at about 20minutes (on my Extreme 3 CF card) for it to do the noise reduction.

Twice it has happened where I have taken a long exposure and then the battery has died while doing the noise reduction, thus resulting in losing the photo! Highly frustrating.

I will be buying a battery grip, so I can have atleast double the exposure time, but preferably I would like to get an external power source.

EH 5A, cost is about £60 here.

Allan

EH-6 appears to be what you need, eg http://tinyurl.com/6bmp3t

Yes that is what I need except that I don't want to power it from mains. I will be out doors in the middle of no where, so I'm also going to need an AC/DC converter and a battery power pack I believe.

I'm not too technical on watts and volts so I'm unsure of exactley what I would need.:shrug:

You could try a 12v car battery or leisure battery, then connect a 12vDC to 240AC converter (the type of thing you get from halfords to run a laptop in your car) to the battery, then plug the Nikon external AC (EH -5A ?) power supply into this... its going to be heavy but i would suspect it will run the camera for a while.

To work out how long and what size inverter you need see Here

Back