D300 + Which Spare Body?

Barney12

I like Sailors
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to this horrible forum I have been FORCED into buying a D300 in the Curry's clearance :bang:

I only recently upgraded from my D40 to a D90 and had intended to keep the D40 as a spare body. But, now which do I keep as a second / spare body?

On one hand the D40 because its small and light (and I'm rather attached to it as my first DSLR).

On the other the D90 because its an overall better camera.

Now I know I really should sell the D90 as it was a lot of money before I spent on the D300 but hey since when has common sense ever mattered? :LOL:

Barney

sell the d40 for sure no point keeping the inferior model

Hi Barney,

Sorry to ask but would you mind telling me how much Currys sold the D300 for.

Am tempted but price too much for me to justify really and keep looking out for places selling cut price.

Thx

Hi Barney,

Sorry to ask but would you mind telling me how much Currys sold the D300 for.

Am tempted but price too much for me to justify really and keep looking out for places selling cut price.

Thx

£899. Boxed and new. They are discontinued and thus Currys branches are selling them off.

Thx Barney, its certainly a decent price but still too much I am afraid.

I think you should sell the D90 mate for about £400 to the bloke on this thread who enquired how much the D300 was in the Currys sale ;)

Why do you need two bodies?

When I bought my D300 in Sept. last year, I thought about keeping my D70s as a back up, but soon realised that I would hardly use it, so I sold it on to fund the D300...I have a slight regret now that I did.'t convert it into IR....:bonk:

the big question is whether you have a lot (or any) non-AFS lenses which need the 'screwdriver focus' mechanism?

If yes, then sell the D40, since those won't work on it anyway.

On the other hand if all your lenses already focus on the D40, then i'd sell the D90, since it's so similar to the D300.

Thx Barney, its certainly a decent price but still too much I am afraid.

I think you should sell the D90 mate for about £400 to the bloke on this thread who enquired how much the D300 was in the Currys sale ;)

quality :LOL:

Sell the D40 and conver the D90 into infared?

That way you have two very good bodys for different shooting styles.

Sell the D40 and conver the D90 into infared?

That way you have two very good bodys for different shooting styles.

Sorry you've lost me on that one?

Barney

I'd say unless you really NEED to very good cameras then sell the D90 and keep the D40 as a back up.

The D90 is very similar to the D300 so if you ever think "which body will I use today" it'll always be the D300 because it's slightly better. However, if you're just going to the beach or somewhere where there is a risk your camera may get damaged you could choose the D40 because it is a lot cheaper camera.

Alternatively, you may want the video capabililty of the D90 but if that's the case you should have got rid of both the D90 and the D40 and bought the D300s.

Only you can decide what to do.

how often are you going to need to carry and use a spare body?

as above if travelling light on a day out maybe the d40 would be fine and not to worry about expensive kit. while if it's a backup camera for emergency on a day of shooting, depends on needs.

Why do you need two bodies?

To save lens changing in situations where stopping to change a lens would lose you a shot - like in 90% of what I do! (2 identical bodies)

As a back up in case of failure on a critical job. (any good body)

Back