D300

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am thinking about upgrading from D200 to the D300. The reports on the D300 seem to be all good but I wondered if anyone has got one and what they thought of it.

Thanks in advance

Why do you want to upgrade ?? :shrug:
Is there something wrong with the D200 ?? :shrug:

I have a D200 and have no intentions of upgrading, if I needed a second body then I might buy one.
I find I probably could take the same pictures on the D200 as I could on the D300 (But thats my opinion) so I save myself £1200 then again I just might buy a new quality lens Ummm there`s a thought. :naughty: Umm what lens could I buy, cant let the Wife see this message....... :D

Have I swayed you one way or another ??

The first question has to be what do you use for camera for?

I bought one as a paper weight :thinking:

Just kidding.....Hacker is right, the thing to think about is...which feature does the D300 have over and above the D200:

Better at high(er) ISO
Improved sensor and processor
Better review lcd screen
Live View
Dust shaking from the sensor.

The only feature I haven't used of all those is the Live View, but in reality I couldn't justify on those reasons above the D200. I bought mine because I really wanted to, not really any logic in it and I am very very happy with it.

I must admit I keep getting tempted by a D300. The ISO performance of the D200 above ~400 just isn't good for what I want to do with my shots, and I'm very restricted by it. If the D300 is as good as it's meant to be, then I may make the jump. Never had a major problem with dust, don't feel I need live-view either, so it'd be purely for the lower noise

/ramble off

I've jst bought a D200, i bought it with the idea of trying it then shortly after going to a D300, Silly i know..
But i've decided the D200 is simply good enough to keep. I find the IQ over 400 is still quite useable. Took it out tonight using it on 800 and its still really good shots.

Only thing that is attracting me to the D300 is the anti dust sensor and better battery.

I bought one as a paper weight :thinking:

Just kidding.....Hacker is right, the thing to think about is...which feature does the D300 have over and above the D200:

Better at high(er) ISO
Improved sensor and processor
Better review lcd screen
Live View
Dust shaking from the sensor.

The only feature I haven't used of all those is the Live View, but in reality I couldn't justify on those reasons above the D200. I bought mine because I really wanted to, not really any logic in it and I am very very happy with it.

You forgot to mention the vastly improved autofocus sytem. Now considered to be the best on any camera from any manufacturer.(y)

These Nikon users are getting all the good cameras at the moment – spoilt rotten for choice…

The d200 is a great camera what is it that it can’t do?

Thanks folks I appreciate all your replies. I am a wildlife photographer and there are aspects about the D300 which are better than the D200. I have to say that from a purely personal view I upgraded to the D200 from the D70 and believe it or not in some respects I preferred the D70 so I won't be sorry to part with my D200.

Once again many thanks

I am seriously impressed with the difference in quality of the shots taken with the D300 over our D200. The main feature being able to take excellent shots at high ISO levels. Surely that is a good feature for a wildlife photographer, no flash needed??!! Having said that, the D200 is the bees knees :)

I have a D70 and I am seriously tempted to upgrade to a D300. Trouble is I just brought a new HP laptop which really is the bees knees!!!

Was hoping to win £95m on the Euro Lottery so I could buy a D300 but had to make do with winning £22.30!

your are correct Marianne the reports did say that it was a great peformer at the higher asa settings also an improved autofocus system. Appreciate your comment

You have all been great with your comments so I thank you all for taking the time to respond

Back