Beginner D3100 - 18-55 lens - jewellery photos

Edit My Images
Yes
I use Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55mm VR Lens to take close up photographs of rings (as in jewellery).
I do not use flash, but 4 lamps to light up the ring.
I have tried several built-in settings e.g. macro etc.
Every photo I take, the centre is in sharp focus, but the edges of the ring are bit blurry.
What settings should I use to get the whole ring in focus?

Increase the aperture? What do you have it set at?

Last edited:
Not an easy subject but I would start off with a tripod (turn vr off on the lens), ISO 100, a narrow aperture, say f/16 (to give you a bigger depth of field) and then a shutter speed long enough to suit your requirements.

You may find that four lights shining on the rings gives an odd look and lots of nasty reflections. Maybe consider a strong single light source (a window maybe) with just a subtle fill light from the opposite direction if needed.

I just used AUTO settings. Following is the information from exif:

F-stop f/5.6
ISO speed ISO-110
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 45 mm
Max aperture 4.8
Metering mode Pattern
35mm focal length 67

and here is the picture.

As you can see the edges are all blurry.

View attachment 23645

Last edited:
I just used AUTO settings. Following is the information from exif:

F-stop f/5.6
ISO speed ISO-110
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 45 mm
Max aperture 4.8
Metering mode Pattern
35mm focal length 67

and here is the picture.

As you can see the edges are all blurry.

View attachment 23645

The depth of field is too shallow. The front of the jewel is in focus but the outer edge behind it, particularly on the left is out of focus.

Being practical about it, you need a smaller aperture than f/5.6. Try F/11 or F/16 if you need it. The smaller aperture will mean you'll either need to compensate with a lower shutter speed or higher iso. The latter will introduce a little more noise hence my suggestion of using a tripod and sticking to base iso.

If you're uncertain of the semi auto modes, just use 'A' and adjust the aperture to F/11. If you're on a tripod, set the iso to 100. If you're hand holding it, I'd suggest using auto iso to ensure the shutter speed doesn't drop low enough to introduce camera shake and use VR.

Last edited:
Thanks gad-westy, I was able to get the whole ring in focus by using F-stop f/14. I am trying to achieve the following result, which has been shot with a Nikon D40.

http://www.ringlovers.com/PAP/PAP-269-1.jpg

It uses these settings:

F-stop f/13
Exposure time 1/200 sec
ISO speed ISO-200
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 55 mm
Max aperture 5
Metering mode Pattern
Flash mode Flash, auto, strobe return
35mm focal length 82

Settings on my camera, D3100 are:
F-stop f/14
Exposure time 1/20 sec
ISO speed ISO-100
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal length 45 mm
Max aperture 4.8
Metering mode Pattern
Flash mode No flash
35mm focal length 67

Here is my photo:

View attachment 23710

Any ideas? Is it the light I am using or do I need to use flash?

Last edited:
Your shutter speed is too slow for the focal length so you could (and should) increase the ISO to bring down the shutter speed which will make it sharper.

Or, just use the flash - it will give you the nice brilliance you are looking for (although you might want to use some bodged up diffuser).

The camera and the 'settings' won't help (beyond ensuring you have sufficient DoF) what you need is to concentrate on the lighting.

Start by buying 'Light Science and Magic', then you'll start to understand what gear you need. If I just recommend the gear it'll not help because it's all about 'how' you use it.

edit. but again, that lighting is awful and you will do a lot better once you read the book

Have a look here for how the thinking works, and you'll see how bad those images are.

Last edited:
You need multiple point light sources to make jewellery sparkle - lots of small lights, like they fit into the ceilings of jewellery shops.

Back