d40/d40x/400d

Edit My Images
No
I am about to buy my first dslr and like the look of the d40 but was wondering is it worth the extra £100ish for the d40x or 400d? The main differences seem to be the anti-shake and the dust cleaning thing the 400d has. Do either or both of these make a big difference?

I dont think the 400D has any 'anti-shake' - the cameras are fairly similar however (though some may say the Nikon doesnt handle noise as well as the Canon). :canon: so would recommend the 400D, but as for the comparison between the D40 and D40X then I am not too sure.

Sure a Nikon user will be along shortly :)

oh and welcome to the forums!

The 400D doesn't have 'anti-shake' but it does have an 'anti dust' cleaning system for the sensor which neither of the Nikons have. Also be aware that the Nikon D40 is a 6 mega pixel camera whereas the 400D and D40X are 10 mega pixel cameras.

Ive got a D40X which I love. Is it worth the extra £ over the D40 however? I wouldn't say so myself. You basically get ISO100 over ISO 200 and an extra 4MP. I only ended up with one due to mistake at Jessops. My advice would be to go an try a D40 and a 400D out at the shops and go with whichever you think feels better in the hand. Don't under estimate how important the ergonimics are if you are going to be holding it all day.:)

You can always look at the Olympus E-410 or E-510, the latter has in-camera Image Stabilisation meaning you get it on every lens you attach to the camera, not just lenses with IS in them (if that was what you were after).

go fo whichever one feels most comfy in the hand.
for me the d40x was much nicer than the 400d to hold
thats why i shelled out extra for a d80 - that was even better :)
:nikon:

I have the D40x and it's a terrific camera. I chose it over the Canon. To add to the differences above, it also has a higher continous shooting rate of 3 frames per second versus 2.5 for the D40. One key advantage of being 10.1 mega pixel, in my opinion, is that you have greater cropping options whilst retaining picture quality. The better ISO will also give you slightly more picture taking options.

With the D40x you will never wish you had any more pixels or a better ISO and can always shoot with lower quality or higher ISO. With the D40, you might wish you had more pixels or lower ISO. Depends how important £100 is to you really.

Incidentally... the Image Stabilisation you get with better Nikon and Canon lenses and with the Olympus, the in-camera stabilisation will make a big difference to you. You can gain a few stops with IS, and this all helps.

I have the d40 myself and its a great camera the only thing id be aware of is the limited choice in lenses you have to go for ones with a motor inside the lens so this can make things a bit expensive if u want lenses that will auto focus other than that id say go to jessops or some other shop with cameras and see which one you like the best

at the end of the day if you dont like the camera you wont use it whatever brand name it has on it :)

Regards

Rik

If both the Canon and Nikon systems offer you what you want, go and try them all and get the one that feels right.

Assuming you have sensibly avoided the megapixel hype as you list both 6MP and 10MP cameras have you also considered a S/H Nikon D70s as this provides much better functionality than the D40 series. Alternatively what about a S/H Canon D20 or D30, do these appear in your budget range.

I would say that if this is your first DSLR you should look at the decision as buying in to a system rather than what features the camera may or may not have; within a few years you'll want to upgrade it and you finding yourself stuck in a system that doesn't meet your needs is not nice and tends to be an expensive thing to fix.

I have the D40x and love it, i find it quite simple to use as most things you're not sure on you can hold the ? button and it will briefly explain what its for.

Back