D50 off camera flash

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I am planning on buying a flash so that I can concentrate on portraits as lots of friends want baby photos taken.

I want to be able to use flash off camera and I am unsure if the D50 supports this wireless.

If anyone has a suitable set up they would like to recommend then please do,

Any advice on flashes, triggers slaves will be appreciated as this area is a new one for me

Thanks
Bruce

I would start your quest for off camera enlightenment on www.strobist.com and read through Lighting 101. There are quite a few choices to get you off camera, but it really depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?

Budget hmm not really thought not wanting to spend more than 300 quid all in? is this too little? Any ideas around this price

:agree: £300 is more than enough to get started. My suggestion would be....

Nikon SB-600 (about £130)
GI Cactus trigger (Under £20/set via Ebay)
Lightstand (£10 from Cameras2u.com)
Umbrella (£10 from Ebay)

That leaves you £130 for upgrades later :)

Yep would agree with Flash, though you could go cheaper on the flashes if you wanted and get a couple of them. You can pick up Canon 430/540 between £40-£80, the brand doesn't matter when you go off camera as long as you can modify the power (and hopefully the beam spread).

Yes you can go cheaper-you could also get two Vivitar 285HVs for around £110, delivered, however the SB-600 would allow the OP to use it in full ttl mode on the D50 if so desired or even off camera with the addition of an SC-17 or 28 cord

:agree: £300 is more than enough to get started. My suggestion would be....

Nikon SB-600 (about £130)
GI Cactus trigger (Under £20/set via Ebay)
Lightstand (£10 from Cameras2u.com)
Umbrella (£10 from Ebay)

That leaves you £130 for upgrades later :)

Thank you I did not realise I could get triggers so cheap the only ones I had heard of were Pocket Wizards

Will look in to all this

Ordered a SB-600 today from Amazon Seller 125, Thanks again for a nudge in the right direction.

Back