D500 settings for snapping runners.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Watched a video on YouTube this morning. The vlogger mentioned a setting that I'd not bothered with before. Not much of a manual user in terms of going through EVERY setting available in the menu. I changed the ones that applied to my D7200 and stayed with those. A3 - focus tracking with lock on - BLOCKED SHOT AF response. He recommended moving the slider over to "Quick" Wouldn't make much difference when tracking runners … ? Had a look at other settings. Id had the face recognition set to "ON". I normally focus on the runner's body, it's bigger and have the camera set to AF-C. Does this mean that the camera overrides my chosen focus point? Should I have the face recognition at "OFF"? I'm sure that it doesn't change the focus point. Sorry to be a bit of an idiot.

Your question isn’t too clear....

but on the d7200 facial recognition is only active in live view or in playback so if you’re using the view finder you are focusing on your selected af point - unless you have af assist points enabled.

the other question - is that related to af tracking? If so - it’s a personal preference and largely comes down to how you shoot... Usually, when shooting running that isn’t high level sprinting or indoor you have enough distance from you to your subject and the subjects are moving slow enough where af tracking (how quickly the system will hold onto a subject) is not hugely relevant as usually they are running towards you in some form of order

I use the blocked shot AF thing for football and birds, but i have mine set to slow or slower or something (can't remember without looking) basically as the D500 is so quick to lock on, I prefer mine to hesitate slightly, so if a player/bird moves behind or in front of something, the d500 doesn't instantly change locked focus to that person/bush/tree.

i would say this is for fast-moving pans or birds/objects that are a little erratic or darting behind other people/objects to be honest but may help in Runners, but i couldn't help as i don't shoot runners.

as for the face rec, I turned this off on day one and haven't ever turned it back on so can't help, id be i interested to know the answer, as same as you, when shooting people this may be a help or hinderance

Runners, for the most part, will move at a steady predictable pace and there will probably (depending on race type), not be too many issues with runners being blocked from your viewing angle. With this in mind, I would use continuous autofocus, using a single focus point for accuracy. If single, becomes too difficult, I would switch to group focus points (most likely 9).

You may, also be interested in back button focus, in this scenario. But that may be, something that you wish to explore, once you are comfortable with the correct focusing choice for you.

Thanks @scott199, as usual. There are loads of settings that I've never looked at. Would any many an improvement? @johnnypanic I've tried back button focussing but failed miserably. I use my thumb on the "joystick" to change the focus point (sometimes) as the runners approach. This is especially true when I'm focussing on a runner in the left/right of the frame.

Thanks @scott199, as usual. There are loads of settings that I've never looked at. Would any many an improvement? @johnnypanic I've tried back button focussing but failed miserably. I use my thumb on the "joystick" to change the focus point (sometimes) as the runners approach. This is especially true when I'm focussing on a runner in the left/right of the frame.
Back button is really handy, takes a while to get used to but well worth it in my opinion, I use it as you can keep your finger on the continues focus and just hit the shutter as and when you need to, it’s constantly in focus, is is also where the delay comes in from your original post.

I also have mine set up so it’s single focus and then if I press the joystick I then have group, I have D9 set up on another button was the front, so all three are available at any point without touching a menu, if I hold the joystick I get constant group, so the joystick acts as a back button focus with group AF.

but I would try back button again and give it a day or two and see how you feel, for me after the initial struggle I would never go back to shutter focus.

also 3D tracking may work quite well in your situation, as soon as you lock on a runner it will move the focus point to stay locked to that runner as he/she moves across your screen/view finder.

Last edited:
@scott199 I've lost count of the number of photos I've taken over the last 6 years. At least 250,000 if not more. I have co-ordination problems. It's second nature now and changing to a new way of focussing (BBF) would tax the grey matter. BUT, I'll use park runs to have a go.

Okay, I press the dedicated button at the back aiming the focus point on a runner coming towards me. Do I hold the button down as they come towards me then press the shutter button down when I'm ready? Or do I press then release the button, assuming that they will stay in focus as they move towards me. I understand the process for a static object.

Okay, I press the dedicated button at the back aiming the focus point on a runner coming towards me. Do I hold the button down as they come towards me then press the shutter button down when I'm ready? Or do I press then release the button, assuming that they will stay in focus as they move towards me. I understand the process for a static object.
Yes, the joy of bbf is just hold that button constant, the great thing about the D500 is the AF is lightning fast, so regardless of where the runner is, he/she will always be in focus and when your ready press the shutter, keep your finger on the BBF and then hit the shutter again and again as you want or need to, as you’ve separated shutter and AF they work independently of each other.

When I shoot sports, the BBF/focus button is held for seconds if not minutes while I track the action, then with it still pressed hit the shutter as action happens.

I think this guys explains it quite well

View: https://youtu.be/FzqQskGoURE

Whilst you're watching that video, you may as well subscribe to Steve's channel. He has some excellent tutorials.

You may also be interested, in his website and quite possibly, his e-book on the Nikon autofocus system. He really does go into great detail -

https://backcountrygallery.com/

I'm beginning to sound like his agent :D

I'm only aware of two face detection modes... one only affects the 3D focus mode which requires matrix metering, and the other is for biasing the meter for faces when using matrix metering.
With the 153 pt system the "blocked shot" settings have nothing to do with the shot being blocked/subject lost... they are just "revert to selected point" settings. I have the delay set longer as I want the focus tracking to continue as long as possible. And set to "erratic" because that seems to tell the camera to be a hair more patient (i.e. you're more likely to get the selected focus point off subject).
IDT either are of importance to what/how you are shooting.

Last edited:
Back