D700 - which 35mm prime

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick question: Limited budget, so forget the 1.4. Do I go for the D series or G? Any difference in your opinion?

There are so many videos on youtube about this, plus can show you differences much better than anyone here can write on here. The sound of the AF for example, images, side by side comparisons and build quality / size difference.

I have the 50mm D. Bought it for £70 from the local camera store. It's superb. I even love the chunky CLICK when I press the shutter.

Price wise, the 1.8g isn't far off a Sigma 35mm Art (about £400 used), which would be my preference by a country mile but I assume more than you want to spend?

Must admit, I've never liked the build and noise of the AFD lenses but not a lot wrong with the 35mm f/2 optically. If manual focus is an option you could take a look at the samyang 1.4 as well.

I had a 35 AFD on my D700 and it was a great combo, lacked contrast at f/2 but was great by 2.8.

The AFD is very sharp (in the centre at least) as I put it on my Nikon 1 cameras which had a 2.7 crop factor and the lens was still sharp at pixel level.

Back