d750 replacement

Supposed to be later this year. Like you I am waiting to see what the replacement is like before I invest in more bodies.

Supposed to be later this year. Like you I am waiting to see what the replacement is like before I invest in more bodies.

I wish it was going to be a big upgrade but I would bet money it will be a very conservative careful improvement here and there but keeping the main weaknesses like 1/4000 shutter speed and a screen that does not tilt about as much as you would like for a camera that costs a lot of money.

I wish it was going to be a big upgrade but I would bet money it will be a very conservative careful improvement here and there but keeping the main weaknesses like 1/4000 shutter speed and a screen that does not tilt about as much as you would like for a camera that costs a lot of money.
The 1/4000 shutter has been discussed several times on the D750 thread. Is it actually a problem in real situations? No one said anything about the D700 which was 1/8000 but base ISO200. The D750 with 1/4000 and base ISO100 would give the same exposure as the D700. It’s easy to check in lightroom how many times you hit the exposure limit at 1/4000 on a D750. Most users probably wouldn’t be anywhere near.

I stupidly sold my D750 and regret it a little now. It was a camera I could fully trust without worrying too much about ISO. I honestly think we will never see such a great camera at the price the D750 was going for ever again. The replacement will be £2k+ going by the price increases we have seen.

Sadly I fear the replacement will be mirrorless... the D750 may be the last camera (main) I ever buy.

Luckily for me 1/4000 is as fast as I have needed and the screen is ok. It’s better than the Sony A7 series - that tilts even less!

The 1/4000 shutter has been discussed several times on the D750 thread. Is it actually a problem in real situations? No one said anything about the D700 which was 1/8000 but base ISO200. The D750 with 1/4000 and base ISO100 would give the same exposure as the D700. It’s easy to check in lightroom how many times you hit the exposure limit at 1/4000 on a D750. Most users probably wouldn’t be anywhere near.

I stupidly sold my D750 and regret it a little now. It was a camera I could fully trust without worrying too much about ISO. I honestly think we will never see such a great camera at the price the D750 was going for ever again. The replacement will be £2k+ going by the price increases we have seen.

My point was they are not going to change those things that set it in the category below the d800 / d500 lines. You can see how it is in a category below those cameras ? Generally everything is slower, lower spec or otherwise not as advanced. I wont go through them all but that will generally remain the same in the new model. They have to keep it well below the d850 and will hold it back on purpose.

Sadly I fear the replacement will be mirrorless... the D750 may be the last camera (main) I ever buy.

Given the D750 has become a firm favourite of the pro wedding photographer I’d be surprised if Nikon rocked the boat by only replacing the D750 with a mirror less option.

News on the D760 has gone quiet and it appears that Nikon are putting most of their resources into their FF mirrorless. It’s still likely that there’ll be a D760 but maybe they’ll announce it at a similar time of year to the D850 last year.

My predictions (based on absolutely nothing ;))

24mp sensor (maybe higher to rival the 5D4)
Base ISO 100
Shutter 1/4000
Silent shutter in LV (AF will still suck in LV ;))
AF system borrowed from the D5
Marginally increased buffer
6.5 or 7fps.
Better LCD in terms of pixels.
4K video.
Joystick/nipple thingy to change AF point.
Maybe focus stacking
Maybe focus peaking in LV

In all honesty I don’t think it will be a huge upgrade from the D750, and not enough to warrant the upgrade from the D750 unless you’re into 4K video or just want a shiny new toy.

I’d guess that rrp will be £1800-2000.

Lack of aa filter would be nice along with a few more mp.

I’d love (another D750) but given it’s at the end of its life I’m going to hang onto my D600 and see what comes up. Toyed with the D810 but compared to the D750 I feel they both have equal strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe the D850 will come down in price a bit!

Lack of aa filter would be nice along with a few more mp.

I’d love (another D750) but given it’s at the end of its life I’m going to hang onto my D600 and see what comes up. Toyed with the D810 but compared to the D750 I feel they both have equal strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe the D850 will come down in price a bit!
D850 is pretty reasonable (I said reasonable not cheap ;)) if you’re willing to buy grey.

Is the thought of mirrorless really so bad? If you don't like the SOTA mirrorless of today maybe in a couple to five years time things will have moved on even more and you'll eat your words... It is at least possible... :D

I'd only go back to a DSLR with a gun to my head.

D850 is pretty reasonable (I said reasonable not cheap ;)) if you’re willing to buy grey.
Every time I go to upgrade the D600 I come away with a new lens instead (no bad thing as I don’t believe the Sony 24 mp sensor is about to be improved any time soon). I would like better af though.

We’ll see what happens later this year...

Is the thought of mirrorless really so bad? If you don't like the SOTA mirrorless of today maybe in a couple to five years time things will have moved on even more and you'll eat your words... It is at least possible... :D
To be honest it’s not a dislike of Mirrorless or a dogged sticking to dSLR “mirrored” technology per se, but every “Mirrorless” Camera I’ve tried so far feels somewhat detatched to use. Admittedly I’ve not tried a Leica SL which is supposed to be the top of the treee in terms of viewfinder and my use of them has been limited to in store type demos.

At the end of the day: It’s just my preference, nothing more, nothing less. Mirrorless just doesn’t feel “right”. To (probably wrongly) use technical description: I find the refresh rate insufficient to make me feel connected with the image - when panning I find the viewfinder smears. It’s something I could probably get used to, but why do I need to?

None of the touted advantages can outweigh the viewfinder (for me) as the best compromise for a camera.

Probably at some point I will “eat my words” (and they were meant to be somewhat hyperbole and not intended to be taken completely seriously) and if I had the money for a second system I would likely buy a Fuji X-T or Olympus OM-D which over time might change my mind but I wouldn’t at this point be willing to give up dSLR.

This is simply my opinion / experience and not intended to make any judgement for anyone else.

Last edited:
I switched from mirrorless to dslr for the faster focusing but I guess the Sony A9 has reversed that advantage (at a cost!)

I have no problem with going (back) to an evf after all why wouldn’t you want to see what the final image will look like rather than at times inaccurate representation that an ovf delivers.

Still no real news about the D760.

Thought I would ump this dead thread instead of making a brand new thread all over again about the exact same thing.

Still no real news about the D760.

Thought I would ump this dead thread instead of making a brand new thread all over again about the exact same thing.

It’s pretty unlikely that Nikon will ever release another dslr unless they have something that’s been in the pipeline for sometime that they are to far ahead with to drop.

The DSLR is dead.

Back