D850 stopped working

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Out shooting today and when I went to review pic on rear LCD of D850 it was blank. Images are recording but there are some other issues. The AF modes cannot be changed and the light when you pull back the power switch isn't working. I bought the camera from a friend but sods law it was bought through ProGadgetUk who look to have done a disappearing act leaving lots of disappointed customers. They do seem to have an Amazon Uk presence but doubt I'll get any joy.

I've tried different batteries, lenses and cards so it looks like it is a proper issue. I have also noted that it takes a bit of time for the camera to shut down. It has done this since I got it but it was never an issue. Lastly my Snapbridge App on my phone told me I had a firmware update. I think I used the app once when I got the camera and the camera was nowhere near when the notification popped up. If there is a firmware update I can't do it as I need the rear LCD to select options.

I'm getting my mate to email ProGadgetsUK but don't hold out any hope. I have a ton of Nikon gear but their professional service seems to have stopped accepting UK applicants. Any ideas of what to do next greatly welcomed.

The 10 pin port is also not working. I tried connecting to TV via mini HDMI. Works fine on my D810 but nothing on D850.

Warranty lies with manufacturer even if the retailer disappears, ask your mate for the proof of purchase and call Nikon UK for a claim.... If it's not a grey import. Otherwise you need your friend to call his credit card company and explain and hope for the best... Or pay Nikon UK or someone like fixation to fix it.

Last edited:
Looks like you will need a repair out of warranty ... Nikon, Fixation or Lehmann.
In truth Fixation & Lehmann may well send to Nikon anyway so might be quicker to send to Nikon direct.

Looks like you will need a repair out of warranty ... Nikon, Fixation or Lehmann.
In truth Fixation & Lehmann may well send to Nikon anyway so might be quicker to send to Nikon direct.
Having it sent via a retailer tends to get things done quicker than from an individual. Nikon seem to respond faster to organisations that shift their products onto customers quickly and in volume.

Having it sent via a retailer tends to get things done quicker than from an individual. Nikon seem to respond faster to organisations that shift their products onto customers quickly and in volume.

Perhaps, but my experience is that having it dealt with by a third-party merely adds to Nikon's inefficiency by the time in handling when sent in and returned ... granted I have only had three experiences but all three have suffered the same.

I don't think he needs the rear screen view. When I have used this type of update it goes onto the computer under "download." Then one transfers to a memory card which then goes into the camera. The camera then comes up with " install update" on the rear screen
if one reads "how to " it does explain the proceedure. Might just kick it back into life, worth a try anyway costs nothing

Only other thing is to get the rear screen circuit board replaced

Last edited:
Back to Nikon it goes, they will not do it under warranty as camera is not EU stock. Might change my allegiances and move to Fuji if the camera is done for

Nikon UK eventually got round to looking at my dead D850 Camera. I have felt like my right arm has been chopped off for the last 3 weeks. The good news is it looks like something happened with the firmware and I am definitely blaming the Nikon App which prompted me to update firmware. I never but a few minutes with the phone next to the camera and the camera stopped working.
Anyways my wait is over and it has only cost £35 quid for the repair including return postage. Very relieved but I doubt I'll be installing the Nikon App again

Back