DALSA develops 100+ megapixel CCD

Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a wee nugget of info as I found this while drinking coffee at work.
Enjoy the read, link at the bottom.

(Mods/Admin feel free to move this to the news section)

DALSA Semiconductor has today announced that it has developed the worlds first sensor with a total resolution of over 100 million pixels. To be more specific this single sensor, developed for astronomy, has 10,560 x 10,560 pixels, 111 million in total. The active area of the sensor measures approximately four by four inches and has a 9 µm pixel pitch. This sensor has been developed in conjunction with Semiconductor Technology Associates for the US Naval Observatory.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0606/06061901dalsa100mp.asp

they'll soon have scaled it down to fit into your moblie phone.

technology is just moving at an incredible rate sinse everything turned digital.

You could make a cracking medium/large format camera with that!

you'd need to shoot it tethered to a pretty fancy pc to handle the image processing though. that's gonna need some mahoosive storage and memory. My lowly athlon 2500xp struggles with a 30Mp panorama!

45Mp is the industry standard now so it's not all that far off the norm. Should be fine to work untethered too as all you're doing then is writting the raw file from the back to a (pretty hefty) disk. All too true about the processing power needed though. It would take some machine to run the batch process for a days shoot with that baby.

The idea of a 5x4 sensor though is just :love: :love: :love:

Back