Damn it!

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I've got a duff bigma :(

The aperture iris seems to be stuck at the half way point, at least intermittently. I noticed a problem focusing over the weekend but it was very grey and misty so I put it down to lack of contrast but today is bright sunshine and it's no better most of the time.

What makes me think it's the iris is that earlier today while I was zooming the lens I heard a soft click and the viewfinder brightened considerably, the lens worked fine for a few shots but then stopped again. Looking down the barrel the iris seems to be set at about the halfway point, it will close down but won't open up fully.

Saying this I'm not certain that's the cause, if I set the lens at one stop less than wide open there is a slight movement inwards when I press the dof preview. I can't think of anything else to try with it, so have emailed Sigma and the supplier for their reactions.

I guess it will be a good test of DigitalRevs returns policy at worst, though I think I'd rather it went back to Sigma to be fixed, at least then I'd be sure I was getting a good example back.

Do you have a DoF preview button on your body? You could try stopping the lens down and checking this to make sure all is as it should be. Don't DR charge you for the returns?

Back