Damsefly & Dragonfly

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these today at a local woods. The drgonfly was a git to get. I waited for 30mins or so for it to settle somewhere close to me, but it would always settle the other side of the pond, so ended up taking the 150macro off, and using the 100-400. Even then, this is a near 100% crop. I guess it was the wrong time of the day (mid afternoon) as they were very active. ID's would be good if poss. Thanks. (EDIT: Some kind person on Flickr has ID'ed them for me now).

1 - Emperor Dragonfly

2 - Emerald Damselfly?

3 - Blue Tailed Damselfly

Last edited:
Nice clean shot of the Emporer even though he kept his distance.

Best time of day to catch these, I have found, is from 7am to about 9.30 when the light is good and they are still warming up. They do fly around for short periods at that time of day, which gives away their location, but then they have to settle for a while to warm up again in the sun. Thats when I have got very close to them.

lovely shots :) i spotted some damsel fly last saterday but it far to over cast to try and shoot them :(.

This was mid-afternoon again. I'm not a morning person, esp now I'm unemployed!! And have the wife and kids nagging at me :D in the evening

Back