Dandelion Folklore and Fact

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
He loves me .... he loves me not

Folklore has an interesting spin on determining whether or not you are loved and says that blowing the seeds off a dandelion is said to carry your thoughts and dreams to your loved one.

Instead of picking the petals off a daisy, try blowng the seeds off a dandelion globe.

It's said that if you can blow all the seeds off with one blow, then you are loved with a passionate love.

4608818364_7fd93f177c_o.jpg

No hope for me then :LOL:

If some seeds remain, then your lover has reserveations about the relationship.

4608771448_04bc7f2118_o.jpg

If a lot of the seeds still remain on the globe, then you are not loved at all, or very little.

4608198805_364e9c5083_o.jpg

If you are separated from the object of your love, carefully pluck one of the feathery heads; charge each of the little feathers composing it with a tender thought; turn towards the spot where the loved one lives, blow, and the seed-ball will convey your message faithfully. Do you wish to know if that dear one is thinking of you? blow again; and if there be left upon the stalk a single aigrette, it is proof you are not forgotten.

Conversely, the dandelion is consulted as to whether the lover lives east, west, north, or south, and whether they are coming or not.

4627160261_615e1bf5f4_o.jpg

Dandelion Barometers - Fact (it is true, checked it out this morning when it was misty)

The dandelion is an excellent barometer, one of the commonest and most reliable. It is when the blooms have seeded and are in the fluffy, feathery condition that its weather prophet facilities come to the fore. As the misty morning progressed from dull to light the feathers of the dandelion opened. I was amazed!

In fine weather the ball extends to the full:

4608206483_1e3806a2a6_o.jpg

(couldn't resist blowing this one :LOL:)

but when rain approaches, it shuts like an umbrella. If the weather is inclined to be showery it keeps shut all the time, only opening when the danger from the wet is past.

4627347313_627f97455b_o.jpg

Not the prettiest of pics, but for this exercise was appropriate (i.e., how something so ugly could transform into something so delicate, yet so powerful).

So next time you want to just chop the weeds from your garden, remember the life cycle these little plants go through.

Their transormation is amazing to watch and I have thouroughly enjoyed my little project.

Now that I have achieved my aim...... my neighbours will be happy because they are so concerned that all the seeds are going to blow into their garden and sprout more dandelions :LOL:, it is a cup of dandelion tea, or a dandelion & burdock before I have to commission the lawn mower tomorrow morning :crying:

I hope you have enjoyed this bit of dandelion trivia as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

Any c&c would be greatly appreciated. Also any ideas of subjects I could use in future projects would be welcome.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Last edited:
Kudos to you for putting together an excellent thread Dawn. Great photos and interesting trivia too. No.3 has to be my fave. Well done! :)

Thanks Heps, that is quite high praise. cheers :)

I have enjoyed putting this one together and aim to have a couple of such projects throughout my learning experience.

D :)

What a fun thread and nice close ups of the dandelion heads. I took some pictures of dandelion heads in a field yesterday and mine were nowhere near as good. At first I didnt like the blue coloured one but it has grown on me.
Sue

What a fun thread and nice close ups of the dandelion heads. I took some pictures of dandelion heads in a field yesterday and mine were nowhere near as good. At first I didnt like the blue coloured one but it has grown on me.
Sue

Thanks for feedback Sue and the PM about a project idea, will set to work on that one soon.

The blue tint pics are basically a play around to see if I could make the dandelions more interesting, it is actually amazing how versitile they are and I have loved playing around with them for this project. I agree they may not be to everyone's taste, and can quite imagine they would need to grow on one.

Cheers

Thank you for posting these, you just reminded me I had to weed the garden. ;)

The origin of the name dandelion is "dent de lion", meaning lion's teeth, which refers to the shape of the leaves.

Thank you for posting these, you just reminded me I had to weed the garden. ;)

You are welcome ;)

When you are finished your garden, do you fancy coming round to weed my garden, there are more dandelions than grass following my cultivation of them for this project :LOL:

Cheers

The origin of the name dandelion is "dent de lion", meaning lion's teeth, which refers to the shape of the leaves.

Thanks Richard for the information. Went outside to have a look and yes they do look quite sharp, like teeth :D

When you are finished your garden, do you fancy coming round to weed my garden, there are more dandelions than grass following my cultivation of them for this project :LOL:

I just walked in completely shattered after only doing about half because of the heat.

Last edited:
No 3 for me stands out Dwn. Lovely set and you did pretty well putting this set together. Looks pretty good and now thanks to you I know something new about how to determine how much my lover loves me, or hates for that matter :)

No 3 for me stands out Dwn. Lovely set and you did pretty well putting this set together. Looks pretty good and now thanks to you I know something new about how to determine how much my lover loves me, or hates for that matter :)

Thanks Amin for the feedback and comments.

If the result from a dandelion clock regarding love is not what you were expecting, you could always resort to picking the petals off a daisy :LOL: There are plenty around at this time of the year ;)

Take care

Interesting project Dawn
well carried off.
I like the folklore commentary as well,
it all adds to the thread!
Nice one (y)

Interesting project Dawn
well carried off.
I like the folklore commentary as well,
it all adds to the thread!
Nice one (y)