Danny in B&W, 12 going on 16

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
There where three shots to show, but Danny's just banned me from showing one of them. :shrug: ...as i said, Danny's 12 years old, going on 16. :LOL:

Daydreaming
Danny3.jpg

I've been fiddling again....which one, and why if poss peeps.

Danny3a.jpg

and this one;
A rare Dr Pepper day...out being bad with dad.
Danny1.jpg

If these where your compositions what would you have done differently?

Hi FB, I'm no expert but I really like the first one, I prefer it in B&W rather than sepia. I love the composition, the full cups work well in the foreground with the DOF bringing your eyes into the subject (your boy). The lighting is nice too with good contrast between the indoors and the outdoors.

The third one I'm not so sure about, my eye is drawn to the empty cup and the table rather than your boy or the background. The is a strange effect in the tree tops too. Was that an effect of the post processing.

If these where your compositions what would you have done differently?

Well I would have ordered a manly mug for my brew for a start, and not a girly cup and saucer :LOL:

Seriously though....I much prefer the first one. The angle is right on the money, and compositionally I like it.
The second one with the tone, I think it makes it look a bit OOF and shakey (could be my eyes though).

No, the first one. Definately.

Thanks for you thoughts Peter. (y)

The third one I'm not so sure about, my eye is drawn to the empty cup and the table rather than your boy or the background. The is a strange effect in the tree tops too. Was that an effect of the post processing.

I'm ashamed to admit...I totally forgotten about the poor editing to the tree line to bring out the clouds a little....that really pants init. :LOL: :( .....I may sort that laters....off to Kew gardens in a bit. :)

#2 for me. I love the shot, but I think the processing works better on this one (is this one of Marianne's filters?) as it gives it more of a dreamy feel which ties the shot together.

First one for me too, the b&w works better for the background & for Danny.

I do think that if the second image was just of the setting (ie. just the coffee shop incl. table & mug), rather than containing the portrait, the sepia one would have worked better. The tone looks nice for this image & I really like the foreground cups & the door at the back.
Agree with Peter about the third.
Really like the first image compositionally, contains a lot without being overcomplicated.
Nicely done.(y)

#2 for me. I love the shot, but I think the processing works better on this one (is this one of Marianne's filters?) as it gives it more of a dreamy feel which ties the shot together.

Yes it is Mini, They should change the name to 'Mariannes filters' eh.

I thought the dreamy look works with this...thanks mini. (y)

The first one is the most effective, give me a window over a studio any day of the week. The Lighting is spot on as is the composition, there's a simple rule that most photography students will be taught, and it's anything out of the depth of field should be behind rather then in front of the main subject. But it's not meant to be applied to every shot, it can work given the right shot. I think it works here.

I have purposley done it in the past http://www.pbase.com/sean_mcr/image/56275053

There's no need for a filter, the light and the subject matter is enough to convey what you wanted to convey. Plus the viewer is not day dreaming the subject is, if you follow me.

Really like the first image compositionally, contains a lot without being overcomplicated.

Ah good, thanks Mike, that means a lot to me as many of my compositions are over cluttered in someway or other....I've always followed the rule 'reduce the ugly bits and you may have a good photo' :LOL:

Good point about the sepia and no subject as well....I understand that nowadays...I wouldn’t have six months ago... Basically, the effect is not ideal for this shot.
(y)

The first one is the most effective, give me a window over a studio any day of the week. The Lighting is spot on as is the composition, there's a simple rule that most photography students will be taught, and it's anything out of the depth of field should be behind rather then in front of the main subject. But it's not meant to be applied to every shot, it can work given the right shot. I think it works here.

I have purposley done it in the past http://www.pbase.com/sean_mcr/image/56275053

There's no need for a filter, the light and the subject matter is enough to convey what you wanted to convey. Plus the viewer is not day dreaming the subject is, if you follow me.

Ah yes, I so follow you...nice one, very clear, really very helpful tips Sean, thanks.

I've seen others do this with DOF and I was following the simple rule...only just OOF and it may work....although your shot shows it way out Sean, but I can see how that works...especially with your photos title. :LOL:

Back