dark .avi files

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I have little knowledge and zero experience of video.

I recently used a Bushnell HD Trophy Cam to take some clips of a buzzard on the ground (The camera is automatic and is triggered by subject movement)

The clips are dark. If they were still shots I would reckon they were about 1.5 stops underexposed (The camera metering is very basic and cannot really handle into the light shots - a situation that was not completely unavoidable)

I have approx. 30 clips, each 20 secs long.
Can anyone suggest some free software that could be used to lighten the clips and hopefully reveal more detail.
Since this is my first foray into this side of photography, simple to use software would be an advantage.

Advice would be appreciated.

Mac or PC?

BTW don't expect too much :( For some techie reason video files have way less latitude than jpegs.

Mac or PC?

BTW don't expect too much :( For some techie reason video files have way less latitude than jpegs.

Thanks for the quick reply, Johnathan.

PC with Windows 7.
I did read that video files do degrade a lot with editing.

The camera produces .avi or jpeg files. The image quality is not that great at best and it's biggest value is that it can be left in situ for an extended period (in my case I left it for 3 days) and it will record whatever triggers it (day or night) thereby revealing what animals were about.

Afraid I can't really help you with PC s/w ;)

Maybe try Virtualdub though. It's highly regarded for AVI editing and supports a bunch of plugins that may let you amp up brightness. It's also free.

Afraid I can't really help you with PC s/w ;)

Maybe try Virtualdub though. It's highly regarded for AVI editing and supports a bunch of plugins that may let you amp up brightness. It's also free.

Cheers, I'll have a look. (y)

Back