Dark Cloth / Focusing Cloth

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
What does everyone use in terms of dark cloths?

I have the rather luxurious Linhof red and black embroidered one, which is a lovely thing, but, despite the weighted corners, it is unweildy when out shooting landscapes in the field, a bit of wind and it is all over.

I've seen the Ebony cloth, and the BTZS from the states, which quite appeal as they seem to fasten on to the camera rather than just draping over the top, the ebony is also waterproof, which would be handy.

Anything I've missed?

I don't know if its still made, but I use the Paramo one.

Large (or xxl if you prefer) T shirt ....head through the neck hole with the body of the t shirt over the rear standard / focusing screen of the camera.

Edit ...Black and decent quality/thickness material!

Last edited:
I have never tried a T shirt myself but have heard of lots of people using them; although usually with the neck end over the rear standard and your head through the body of the T shirt.

I have never tried a T shirt myself but have heard of lots of people using them; although usually with the neck end over the rear standard and your head through the body of the T shirt.

I do exactly that, works a treat :)

Also, it's only a bog standard thin T Shirt, doesn't need to be anything special. For fine focusing, the loupe adds further and sufficient shroud to block out what little stray light there is inside the T shirt.

Just be sure to get a shirt with a big enough neck. Getting it just right means there's enough tension in the neck to hold itself on the back standard.

I think the one I bought was a Large... though I appreciate this could vary wildly!

Or like this?

(T'other Chris, @raathistle at the Llandudno meet...)

Back