Dark Pripyat - My Project

Name
Ric
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

I just want to create this little thread about my Project called Dark Pripyat and create a place for it here on the forum now that the project has entered the final print stages:

488278_10151331340347721_1537813996_n.jpg

Dark Pripyat was my idea to create a photo-book of the abandoned city of Pripyat and Chernobyl in the Ukraine which was cleared pretty much overnight of all it's inhabitants due to the Nuclear plant explosion at Chernobyl in 1986.

24 years later i decided to visit the zone to photograph the forgotten city.. I was hooked instantly, The space, the silence, it's breathtakingly tragic when you consider the history.

I decided to visit another 2 times where i helped organise trips to the zone which UK citizens could join on in 2011 and 2012 spending a total of 9 days over 3 years in the area.

57927_10151331341212721_111996002_n.jpg

539191_10151331340612721_51859380_n.jpg

We were different to the day trips that anybody can arrange in Kiev in the way that we had 2-3 full days in Pripyat which were free roam per visit, not handcuffed to tour guides. This helped me photograph areas of the city you may not have seen before when viewing similar galleries or collections from the area.

In Feb 2012 i released the iBook's version of Dark Pripyat for the iPad which added an extra hint of Interactive features to the book and has been received very well and downloaded a lot of times.

You can view the free iBooks version and the PDF version (for people without an iPad) on my site here

165415_10151331341547721_1293126240_n.jpg

Dark Pripyat has also recently progressed into print as a 88 page full colour imagewrap book which is available for purchase should you want too here.

The print version of the book is released with no markup, simply the cost of the printing via Blurb to help share the photography from this amazing place with people who still like to view a printed book.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank members from this forum who joined me on some of the trips, it was certainly an experience and im glad i have this book to contain some memories!

Hopefully i've not broken any rules with the thread!

Thanks for your interest!

That looks Fantastic! I’d love to create a book with purely imagery telling a story. Pripyat has always captivated me in it’s eeriness and mystery, such a cool place!

just revisiting this thread, thanks for the kind comments it's appreciated.

Thanks for sharing this.
A lot of effort and a lot of thanks from me to share this project!

Regards,
Kalin

Looks good, some captivating shots there. It's nice to see an idea come to fruition and then be so well received :)

Book looks amazing. Great work!

Superb project and a little bit of history. Well done I thoroughly enjoyed the images and the story your pictures tell, inspirational work to be quite frank!

Back