Darkroom equipment .... advice please

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I am new to photography, but in some uncanny way seem to have dived into the deep end (in a fortunate way).

I have had a DSLR (Canon EOS 1000D) for the last month, which is great so far (still learning though).

I also have an old Konica Autoreflex TC (that was given to me) and the opportunity to acquire a Canon EOS 500N with various lenses.

I really like B&W and sepia shots (which I realise one can gain from using the DSLR) but the whole scientific and technical side of photography really appeals to me.

I have recently toyed with the idea of converting my outside brick sheds to a study/hobby room/darkroom; and in the last few days a friend has said that they are moving back to South Africa and can't take all with them. So they have a whole list of darkroom equipment to offer at a reasonable price (around £100).

The only thing is, I don't have a clue as to whether this would be all I need and whether it would be a good start up.

So I am here, hoping that someone will be able to offer advice.

The list is as follows:

Meopta Axomat 5 standard enlarger
various paper and chemicals
Paterson autoprint washer (with instructions and tweezers)
Translite print tray warmer
trays x 3 20x25cm (we have got more trays but they are in the roof of our house down south and we are going down to get them at the end of the month)
squeegy large and small
UV light
negative developing tank with attachable washing hose
film dryer
measuring cylinders
thermometer
tongs
timer
funnel
magnifying glass
film extractor
chemical storage containers x 3
developing bag
tripod

And a few more trays and numberous books.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for taking the time to look and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dawn :)

If you've never done any black & white processing, I would strongly recommend reading these fact sheets from Ilford. They tell you everything you need to know to get started, including the chemicals you require to develop your films and for making the prints:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629187211322.pdf

Be warned though, it can be quite an addictive hobby. ;)

I'd include film clips to your list for drying the film. One will be weighted so this goes at the bottom to prevent your film from curling.

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list to me Dawn, unless you plan on developing colour film and prints.
The most expensive bit is the enlarger, you need to make sure you have all the film carriers/condensers (if its a condenser enlarger) and lenses/boards its and bats you need for the format you want to print.
Other than that it looks like a decent deal, you couldn't put all that stuff together for £100..:)

If you've never done any black & white processing, I would strongly recommend reading these fact sheets from Ilford. They tell you everything you need to know to get started, including the chemicals you require to develop your films and for making the prints:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629187211322.pdf

Be warned though, it can be quite an addictive hobby. ;)

I'd include film clips to your list for drying the film. One will be weighted so this goes at the bottom to prevent your film from curling.

Thanks Carl V for the links and the tip, I am already addicted (not sure if that is good or bad) :LOL:

Thanks for the tip about film clips, will bear that in mind. Good tip!

Looks like a pretty comprehensive list to me Dawn, unless you plan on developing colour film and prints.
The most expensive bit is the enlarger, you need to make sure you have all the film carriers/condensers (if its a condenser enlarger) and lenses/boards its and bats you need for the format you want to print.
Other than that it looks like a decent deal, you couldn't put all that stuff together for £100..:)

Thanks Joxby,

I think my main aim would be to mainly develop in B&W with film, perhaps with a bit of sepia (with the right filters). Purely from a childhood experience of someone self-developing. Besides I understand that colour developing can be very complex and technical (not eliminating from my future venture though).

Have had some feedback from peeps in various fields and the response so far has been good.

Thank you for your advice and input. I have taken onboard everything you have stated.

Regards

It's both really - good for passing the time and the satisfaction, but bad for the bank balance.
I

Is there anything better to spend the bank balance on and still get the same satisfaction and rewards? (and don't tell me more glass for my DSLR) it is 'physical and scientific' than that!)

D :)

Back