Darkroom ventilation

Name
Tristan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been doing basic B&W developing in the cellar, but unfortunately theres not too much ventilation apart from couple of air bricks and a small window that is part of a old coal entrance which has been covered over to only allow air out of the sides).

I have since bought a CPE-2 processor to try out c41 & e6, but not sure if this is safe. Should i do all my B&W/c41/e6 down the shed with the door open instead and run extention cord as and when needed for cpe2, although i imagine it will be difficult to maintain temperatures.

looking for some advice how to proceed:bonk::bonk:

Me again :)

How many films are we talking about at any one time? I should think if it's a small amount you should be ok but once the films are in the drums I thought they were light tight even colour and you could process them in most places??

I should think you're safer where you are currently doing it rahter than running an extension lead down to a shed - if you do this best have an RCD plugged into the socket unless you already have a fuseboard with RCBOs or RCD protection.

If your doing a great deal of work then I'd think about getting an extractor fitted but this will only be effective if it can draw air from the outside in as well as expelling.

If your doing a great deal of work then I'd think about getting an extractor fitted but this will only be effective if it can draw air from the outside in as well as expelling.

Yup, it'd have to be balanced to work properly. Twould be better to have your extract system in the cellar expelling the vitiated air to outside and using a relief grille in the door that leads to the cellar to supply make up air from the rest of the house. This would mean that the make up air would always be at room temperature instead of drawing air from outside that could potentially be below freezing during the winter. There'll be enough infiltration throughout the house to allow this.
Obviously, when using the system during cold weather it'd be better to cover the air bricks over to stop the outside air coming in, but during the summer it'd be better to have them open. With it being a cellar you'd have to make sure that you always have ventilation at all times, whether it's the fan or the the air bricks open. I'd put some little flaps on the air bricks that can be opened and closed easily. :)

Il have to look into it, i didnt really want to commit to a proper ventilation system yet, cause i dont know how much i will be doing, id imagine max 1-2 rolls a week... I have gloves and goggles but thinking maybe to buy some sort of mask..

is this just film or is it open tray paper dev we're talking about?

tbh, the fumes from dev'ing a couple of rolls in a tank are not much to worry about and once they're in the drum/storage bottle then there is very little air/fluid interface to allow evaporation. Unless you're hyper sensitive to the chemicals and doing it in an airtight cupboard about the same size as yourself then i really wouldn't worry about it!

Unless I'm missing something really obvious here, surely the best way to use this processor is to load up in the dark, as with any kit, and then run the machine in the kitchen.

Once in the tank, there's no need to sit in the dark or underground. :)

It is just film dev using CPE-2 + Lift..

I dont think i would be allowed to use the machine in the kitchen, the idea of the cellar was just a way to have things permanently layed out and use at any time and not be in the way of other people in the house.

It seems kits today such as the Tetenals colortec stabiliser is Formaldehyde free.. maybe im just worrying too much, but better safe than sorry i guess

Did you know that there is a new type of camera available these days that doesn't need film?

Sorry, someone had to do it. I just got in first :)

sounds boring....zzzzzzzz

:D

It is........... compared to developing your own films :D
Once I learn how to take a decent photo with the digital I'd love to have a pop at the old fillum malarky (y)

Back