Darth Vader Shoot

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
so today i had a shoot with Dave Prowse, i got a few good shots but the one i think i am happiest with is this one...

4.jpg

C+C welcome

Ooooh. Darth Vader. Awesome! Wish I could have been there.

C+C: I'm not a big fan of the picture. The crop (of both Prowse and the helmet) is awkward. Also, the helmet and the background are too similar in colour. The highlights on the helmet are distracting (especially the top one that's cropped out). Have you considered doing a black and white conversion, and perhaps editing to bring out the subjects from the background?

Cool shot I like this a lot, and no I'm not a star wars freak. May I ask what this was for and why you took it?
Had a look at your site and I really like your celebrity shots and also intrigued, do you do this as a job?
Wayne

i took it for an exhibition in june and july, its not a job although i hope it progresses into one, im a student at the moment studying photography.

Ooooh. Darth Vader. Awesome! Wish I could have been there.

C+C: I'm not a big fan of the picture. The crop (of both Prowse and the helmet) is awkward. Also, the helmet and the background are too similar in colour. The highlights on the helmet are distracting (especially the top one that's cropped out). Have you considered doing a black and white conversion, and perhaps editing to bring out the subjects from the background?

thanks, i prefer it when people are honest, i was thinking about black and white but my monitor at home is a bit rubbish so i need to wait until im in college tomorrow.

Well, I am a huge fan of Star Wars as such I love the picture. If anything, the colour of the mask on the dark back-ground is perfect. If you're into the movies then you'd know that the Dark Side is always dressed in shades of grey ... even their furniture etc.

With that said, I never relate Prowse to Lord Vader ... to me it is always - and forever - Anakin! Call it the child in me :shrug:

I love the picture and I envy you for being able to shoot this. Thank you for posting it.

you could have got him to polish his helmet!

:exit:

seriously, the smudges on it distract the eye.

I quite like this, but I think it misses the mark.

2 things I think you should reconsider:
1. Its shot from lower than eye level. Most portraits work best when the lens is at about eye level. That is, of course, a rule that is there to be broken in appropriate circumstances and I've seen many many great portraits taken from above and below. If there's a good reason for breaking the rule, then go ahead. But here, I'm afraid I'm just looking up his nose.

2. You've got some distracting reflections on the helmet, especially in the "eye" and "chin" area, as well as a bit that's not polished as well as the rest. [edit] DF beat me to it [/edit]

Sorry if that sounds harsh - its not meant to be. Its meant to be helpful.

MV

Well, I am a huge fan of Star Wars as such I love the picture. If anything, the colour of the mask on the dark back-ground is perfect. If you're into the movies then you'd know that the Dark Side is always dressed in shades of grey ... even their furniture etc.

With that said, I never relate Prowse to Lord Vader ... to me it is always - and forever - Anakin! Call it the child in me :shrug:

I love the picture and I envy you for being able to shoot this. Thank you for posting it.

he was very accomodating and welcomed us (me and the assistant) into his home, i think it needs a lil photoshop work but does have potential.

I quite like this, but I think it misses the mark.

2 things I think you should reconsider:
1. Its shot from lower than eye level. Most portraits work best when the lens is at about eye level. That is, of course, a rule that is there to be broken in appropriate circumstances and I've seen many many great portraits taken from above and below. If there's a good reason for breaking the rule, then go ahead. But here, I'm afraid I'm just looking up his nose.

2. You've got some distracting reflections on the helmet, especially in the "eye" and "chin" area, as well as a bit that's not polished as well as the rest. [edit] DF beat me to it [/edit]

Sorry if that sounds harsh - its not meant to be. Its meant to be helpful.

MV

No it doesnt sound harsh, im in this for the longhaul and want to become a better tog.
the reason i made him sit higher than the helmet was this, i wanted him to be seen as more important than the role he played, and to be prominant in the shot. rather than people see vader i wanted them to see Dave, now i probably could of worked the angles a little better and could of come up with a different concept, sadly this was probably my fall down on the day and the concept wasnt as strong as it should of been.

thanks for the comments, i always take it as constructive!

I dont mind looking up his nose!! lol.. but the crop is too tight.. and there isnt enough definition to the helmet, on this monitor at least.. it kind of gets lost..

MV is right though, it would have looked a bit better from eye level..

And forget Anakin!! its THIS guy and James Earl Jones will always be Vader... (y)

Back