Beginner Daughter's first nature reserve shots

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
After getting her first DSLR for Christmas, I took my 11 YO daughter to the local nature reserve a couple of weeks back.
These were her first efforts. I have given her some of my (limited) advice but I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of those more experienced please?

She's taking photography for her GCSE soon so she'll be able to learn the key points in that all being well.

Nuthatch
by Steve B, on Flickr

Robin
by Steve B, on Flickr

Great Tit
by Steve B, on Flickr

Grey Squirrel
by Steve B, on Flickr

Robin
by Steve B, on Flickr

Male Blackbird
by Steve B, on Flickr

First thing I would say, if she's interested in nature photography, is to get eye-level with the subject and look to frame a clean background too.

It'll make a massive difference to those images (y)

It'll help her to think before pressing the shutter. Very impressed that she's only 11 and is up for the challenge!

Last edited:
Wez has it for me Steve,I was about to say the exact same thing. Even if it's a bird on the floor or say a bunny,if she gets to their eye level,the viewer is immediately taken into the beastie's world. It's difficult to articulate mate these low pov point of view,images really feel intimate,to me. Buddy get her some decent waterproofs to keep domestic harmony with your good lady. Also tell her I too think she's doing fabulous,tell her this isn't easy sometimes the chances don't come. Talk to her about subject placement within the frame a chat about the rule of thirds while making it clear there are no rules,lol:D might also set her thinking. Steve local duck pond,take her there get her right down at water level with the lens let her get some images and then some say from a standing position of the same birds. I think this might be the best way to actually show her what we are waffling about. I think to someone of her age this will really help her.

Finally wish her all the luck in the world from all of us from the novices like moi to the more advanced ,we all want more kids making images of nature,it's going to be their planet soon . Oh mate you best start pulling some overtime,she going to be asking for some tools soon:eek: they aren't cheep

Wicked to see

take care

stu

First thing I would say, if she's interested in nature photography, is to get eye-level with the subject and look to frame a clean background too.

It'll make a massive difference to those images (y)

It'll help her to think before pressing the shutter. Very impressed that she's only 11 and is up for the challenge!
I agree, as she is 11 it will be easier for her as well.

Considering she has only just had her first camera I think they are extremely good. She will learn as the months go on about the things she needs to look out for and she will also be taught on her GCSE course more than just the basics. By having her camera now, in preparation, she stands a good chance of doing well in her GCSE's.

Great photos for an 11 year old, whilst a 'clean' background is sometimes desirable (and that applies to eye level too) nature isn't always like that, let her go her own way,don't try to impose on her the 'rules' NH photographers like to see in images. Above all let her enjoy her results.

Some really nice photos. Im a newbie so im can only comment from what I think of the image rather than a technical viewpoint. Personally I find photo 1 and 2 a little awkward because the foreground (bottom half) is sharp but the background (top half) is blurred. As an image i find it awkward to view. My initial thought to resolve this seems to mirror what wezza and Stuart say so from my own development thats helpfull. Apart from that They are all really nice images

Back