Day out at Dartmoor National Park

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a day out on Dartmoor National Park yesterday and visited a few nice photo spots. Just looking for some general feedback really :)

IMG_9700.jpg

IMG_9712.jpg

IMG_9775.jpg

Great shot of the bridge, there's very little not to like there, great reflection, light, colours and composition, all really good, I like it a lot.

The lighting and colours are good in the second one but it's lacking a great subject (like the bridge).

I'm not keen on the mono on the third photo, it all looks drab and lacking interest, I'm afraid. Better in colour perhaps but maybe no visual feast either.

Hi Jon,

Good efforts, you've obviously given some thought to each composition and on the whole they work very nicely. There are some things you could adjust, such as cropping out the grass at the bottom of the bridge photo and if you'd shot from a little bit lower the branches would be clear of the bridge.

I'm not sure what camera you are using but the images seem a little soft and the colours slightly washed out (this could also be due to where you are hosting the files from - sometimes that softens pictures a lot). This leads on to another point, the light looks quite hard - not much you can do about that other than wait until sunset/rise which if you want GREAT photos this is what you will need to do. Also, the shadows in 2 look boosted a bit much for my taste - what processing have you done.

B&W conversion works well, like that one a lot.

Thanks for your input guys. Cartus, I agree about the second picture lacking a subject. I was focusing too much on how to compose the river running into the distance!

Nawty - using a 550D which I've had for 2/3 years. Not sure if the age has anything to do with the sharpness over time if not sensor cleaned etc? I was using a Canon 10-22mm with a polarizer. As for processing on second image, I had to reduce the shadows quite a bit (especially along the side of the river). The image was indeed shot at midday, which as you suggested probably wouldn't help on the light harshness side of things. Images are hosted from my own hosting, so that shouldn't effect the quality.

I really like the first two with great compositions and colours but the final pic just doesn't do it for me. For me there isn't quite enough visual interest in frame.

I agree about the composition of the bridge photo - ducking down to get the branches out of shot would have been a good move, the sort of scraggly branches that we seem to get in the UK are a bit of an unwelcome distraction. But contrary to what Nawty said I'd have been tempted to get more of the grass in shot - it can sometimes make a reasonable foreground interest. This photo shows you what sort of effect I'm talking about. A touch of contrast and saturation in post might help too, it seems a little flat.

The second photo for me is the best of the three, good composition. Again, a touch harsh and flat for me - top left of shot a little too dark, foreground a little too light - but if that's intentional processing then that's a personal call.

Agree with TheGrew on the third shot though, there's just nothing there, and without being there to see what other elements were available to include in the shot I'm not sure how it could have been improved.

Nice work overall though, a few minor tweaks are all that seems to be really needed.

Back