Daylight Bulb Queston for Light Box

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am going to be building one of the DIY light boxes that i have seen on this forum (Not sure which one yet) but i am looking at using 3 x DayLight Bulbs around the light box that everyone seems to talk about on here but cannot seem to fund such bulb in the shops. Are the Energy Saving ones the same or do the DayLight ones give more of a white light out.

Also regarding the Watt of the Bulb would i be ok with a 50w or would i need something else. I seem to get confused between the watt of a bulb and what the output would be if it was compared with a normal old style bulb

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris i've just bought bulbs like the ones justdave linked,i had them from Wilkinsons, 65p each. I've also seen them in Tesco for a similar price. They are 60w and are bayonet fit. Hope this is of help.

I use these 6400k bulbs - they are sourced from the local Trade lighting center at @ £4.25 each, fitted to a couple of ASDA £2.99 flexible desk lamps

Just another question, Do the blue lights give out a white light or a blue light LOL (Sorry i had to ask this)

Chris

Chris

The blue coloured bulbs are simply normal tungsten bulb with a blue conversion filter on the envelope. This gives a nice continuous light output just like daylight.

By the twisty bulbs, do you mean the curly low energy ones. Well some of these are OK (ish) . What you need top know is the CRI index. CRI refers to the Colour Rendition Index. The higher the number the nearer to daylight it is. Daylight is 100. Probably anything around 90% should be OK. Anything less than this may give unacceptable results.

Here's a table showing the various colour temperatures

colortemp.jpg

so if you get the temperature of the bulb you can see where the light output falls - as long as all the lighting is the same you can make adjustments to the white balance on the camera to get the correct colours .

Hi all, I managed to get 60w DAYLIGHT bulbs from Tesco for a few ££ so once i start to build the light box this week i will try them

Thanks
Chris

Can anyone help me with what sort of settings to use on my Canon 350D and Kit lens for taking photos in my DIY light Box. I have posted a few photos on the genral page but not sure what sort of settings i should be using.

Should i also be putting a light each side of my light box and one from above

Chris

Chappers has given the right answer. Buying cheap bulbs from Tesco or anywhere else is just a waste of money.

I use these 6400k bulbs - they are sourced from the local Trade lighting center at @ £4.25 each, fitted to a couple of ASDA £2.99 flexible desk lamps

How many bulbs did you buy? He sells them for £5.99 on his website and on ebay here?

I bought 4 from him yesterday for 5.99 each:thinking: . But I collected as I live 15minutes away.

How many bulbs did you buy? He sells them for £5.99 on his website and on ebay here?

I bought 4 from him yesterday for 5.99 each:thinking: . But I collected as I live 15minutes away.

I got 2 from the local Trade lighting suppliers here in Cornwall - i should have made it clearer that the link was for info only not where i bought them from.

I got 2 from the local Trade lighting suppliers here in Cornwall - i should have made it clearer that the link was for info only not where i bought them from.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Anyway, I've busted 2 already. I don't know what's wrong. I'm using the bulbs in my room. Nice and bright.

Back