Days you wish you'd grabbed the dslr...

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Or at least weren't too rushed to check your settings...

Picture the scene, it's a crisp clear spring night in the Grassmarket (Edinburgh) the new moon slowly sets over the castle a break in the traffic just as your calculating your exposure; perfect trip shutter count elephants and your done, just enough time to bracket one before you move on. 100m down the street your next shot, not so frantic so you check everything and... Well you'll just have to picture it because at f8 1/400 that's all you'll get! Idiot.

By the tune I reloaded the back and marched back down to the corner the moon had moved and my shot gone.

Moral of the story of the story, don't shoot the moon it's a bugger, make sure your wife let's you know when there is no petrol in the car, don't be rushed, and check your settings!

I know why I screwed up, I've only used a sub 2 second shot twice this year.

I don't usually get actually annoyed with my self but it'll be raining tomorrow and town is already too busy even on a Monday so I've properly missed it!

Never mind, rant over there will be other photos... One of them might even be worth taking.

..and my problem is sunshine at a convenient time and those scenery shots where you get loads of aircraft vapour trails in the sky :(

Well, the challenge is part of the allure, isn't it? It makes the triumphs more meaningful.

Yeah, but sometimes I do wonder if I'm making life harder than it needs to be! I'm shooting more than I'm scanning at the moment so I think the reward cycle is getting too long.

Yeah, but sometimes I do wonder if I'm making life harder than it needs to be! I'm shooting more than I'm scanning at the moment so I think the reward cycle is getting too long.

I hear ya and it's part of the reason why I farm out most of my developing and scanning. I prefer to concentrate on what I enjoy most: taking photographs and printing photographs.

I hear ya and it's part of the reason why I farm out most of my developing and scanning. I prefer to concentrate on what I enjoy most: taking photographs and printing photographs.

I quite like the craft of developing but really dislike scanning. Doesn't help when I only get a couple of hours a week to get near the computer and that also has to include editing.

I quite like the craft of developing but really dislike scanning. Doesn't help when I only get a couple of hours a week to get near the computer and that also has to include editing.

I don't mind developing occasionally, as it can be fun, but I don't have the time or the willingness to develop all of the rolls that I shoot.

I've shot 335 rolls of 120 format film in the past 25 months; I'd have a huge backlog if I were developing and scanning those myself.

Last edited:
****I've shot 335 rolls of 120 format film in the past 25 months***

WoW I'm impressed

I don't mind developing occasionally, as it can be fun, but I don't have the time or the willingness to develop all of the rolls that I shoot.

I've shot 335 rolls of 120 format film in the past 25 months; I'd have a huge backlog if I were developing and scanning those myself.
Yikes! Yeah I'd farm that out too!

I don't keep track but judging by my crusty bottle of rodinal it's less than a 100, way less, plus about 2 boxes of 54 and the odd roll 35mm.

Christ, I've shot about fifty in the last year and I thought that was quite a lot... but 335!! That's almost one every other day lol.

Christ, I've shot about fifty in the last year and I thought that was quite a lot... but 335!! That's almost one every other day lol.

Yeah, the figure makes it sound like I'm shooting almost daily, but I'm not. I can go a few weeks without shooting anything. There've been some big events over the past two years though and I've also had the opportunity to travel quite a bit too, so I tend to shoot a huge bunch of rolls over a short period of time. Almost anytime I travel anywhere, I have at least one 6x6cm camera with me.

I also don't shoot any digital, so that probably boosts my film numbers even more.

Come to think of it; it would actually be higher than 335 rolls of 120, because that figure includes rolls of 220 as well.

Last edited:
335? Goodness, I think I need to try harder! Last twelve months for me was about 90 which was a dip from the previous year of about 155. Nearly all b&w 120 and developed at home.

Like you RJ mine increase when I travel a bit and an expensive divorce hit the holiday budget last year. Having said that four days away visiting friends in Portugal a last week notched up nine rolls, I am visiting my bother in Madrid in May and June is Le Mans week so this year may be more. My wife never could understand why I took a week off for a 24 hour race - might explain in part my divorce!

Mark

Or at least weren't too rushed to check your settings...

Picture the scene, it's a crisp clear spring night in the Grassmarket (Edinburgh) the new moon slowly sets over the castle a break in the traffic just as your calculating your exposure; perfect trip shutter count elephants and your done, just enough time to bracket one before you move on. 100m down the street your next shot, not so frantic so you check everything and... Well you'll just have to picture it because at f8 1/400 that's all you'll get! Idiot.

I remember the time I set up my Bronny SQ to take waterfall shots during the winter, going for a smaller aperture to get decent movement in the water. Such a shame I didn't notice that the battery check light wasn't lighting up and all the photos were taken at the default 1/500 mechanical speed. :oops: :$ Mind, I could maybe dig out the negs and enter them in the "New old film "Dark" competition ............."

I thought the universe had thrown me a reprieve. It looked clear, moon would be broadly in the same position, if a little later, and actually it wasn't that busy out tonight. Nah it was just messing with me. Heavy cloud appeared just around the time everything was lining up... Ach well one for the bank another time.

Back