Beginner Dazed and confused at getting my first camera.

Name
Rebecca Jones
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone! I've been taking photos for a good few years now on my phone, but really want to take my pictures further.
I'm looking for beginner/ intermediate level. I enjoy land and skyscapes and macro mostly. I guess action is the only thing that doesn't appeal.
Any suggestions, folks? I'd be everyday grateful for some advice!

I've no idea if you'll be interested in this but just had a look on evil bay and a used Panasonic GX80 could be just about in budget. These sometimes come with a standard range zoom lens and sometimes as a body only. I'd go for a body only and then pick up a lens. One popular lens is the 12-32mm but personally I wouldn't touch that lens as it doesn't have a focus ring, I'd go for a used 14-42mm G Vario, this one...

I have one of those and it really is a good lens, IMO.

Or you could buy a cheap adapter (from around £15 or so) and use an old film era manual lens.

For example, adapter...

Lenses such as a 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 are usually available for £15-50.

Whatever you go for, good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Which ever way you choose to go, enjoy !
I can only comment regarding my own experience:- I picked up a good used Nikon D3200 with a Nikon 18-35 kit lens plus a used 18-200, plus a tripod all for less than £300.
The D3200 seems to have been the 'defacto' beginners camera and therefore I found literally 100 of books and 1000's of youtube videos full of advice and techniques !
Although I have moved onto the D600 for wildlife, I have kept the D3200 as my walkabout with a newly acquired Nikon 85mm micro it makes a great combo.

I've no idea if you'll be interested in this but just had a look on evil bay and a used Panasonic GX80 could be just about in budget. These sometimes come with a standard range zoom lens and sometimes as a body only. I'd go for a body only and then pick up a lens. One popular lens is the 12-32mm but personally I wouldn't touch that lens as it doesn't have a focus ring, I'd go for a used 14-42mm G Vario, this one...

Or you could buy a cheap adapter (from around £15 or so) and use an old film era manual lens.

For example, adapter...

Lenses such as a 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.8 are usually available for £15-50.

Which ever way you choose to go, enjoy !
I can only comment regarding my own experience:- I picked up a good used Nikon D3200 with a Nikon 18-35 kit lens plus a used 18-200, plus a tripod all for less than £300.
The D3200 seems to have been the 'defacto' beginners camera and therefore I found literally 100 of books and 1000's of youtube videos full of advice and techniques !
Although I have moved onto the D600 for wildlife, I have kept the D3200 as my walkabout with a newly acquired Nikon 85mm micro it makes a great combo.

For example, adapter...

Thank you so much both of you for your recommendations and for looking! Evil bay, that made me laugh. I'll take a look and read up on both.

If you've been taking pictures with a phone then I would avoid superzoom lenses that cover a wide range of focal lengths: image quality is often disappointing, an you will need to learn to see differently as well as learn to use the camera. A Nikon D3500 or D3200 has been suggested - pair that with a 35mm or 28mm lens to begin, then see if you want longer or wider lenses.

If it wasn't in lock down I'd suggest finding a used camera store and popping in. Try all the brands, with basic (prime) lens and see the weights, the sellers may be able to advise.
At this point in time any brand is open to you, you just need one that you can change settings and possbily lens until you find the combo you like.

I had a nikon d300 (old now) semi pro model, has the point and shoot settings, but also you can go fully manual should you want. Also can use older f mount lens from ebay (manual only).
Have a look at the sony, canon and fujis too.

Best to handle though, as you don't want to buy and find it feels wrong... :)

If you've been taking pictures with a phone then I would avoid superzoom lenses that cover a wide range of focal lengths: image quality is often disappointing, an you will need to learn to see differently as well as learn to use the camera. A Nikon D3500 or D3200 has been suggested - pair that with a 35mm or 28mm lens to begin, then see if you want longer or wider lenses.

Back