Dead train

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Kinda sad really.

Bet it was a real work horse in it's day.

Wasting away in Eastleigh yard......

4515752812_61e9920f84_o.jpg

Not 100% sure about this shot. I think it's ok, but needed your expert opinions!!

Another from the same location.
The bush spoils it a bit, but I'll have another go at this one soon (y)

4515149029_fa60283f17_o.jpg

That is a sad end. The class 58's are only 25 years or so old and were a bit of a disaster for British Rail. When you consider there are still diesel loco's built in the 60's operating today, it brings it to perpective. Thanks for sharing.

I think you have conveyed sad really well in No 1
Your eye is led to the front of the train which looks a tad downwards and downcast then back along the body which is decomposing Then you notice no wheels
The colours are nice
Anyone looking at this says sad

Last edited:
Sad indeed... I remember seeing a 58 for the first time, possibly at Loughborough station. I remember thinking how modern they looked. They were nicknamed "egg-timers" I think, because of the wide cabs and narrow bodies :D

For me these were what I grew up with, it's such a shame to see them like this :(

Oh, like the shots though. Do you have regular access to the yard, because you could spend hours shooting all the old parts, especially dare I say, in black and white :)

Oh, pic one for me :D

Sad indeed... I remember seeing a 58 for the first time, possibly at Loughborough station. I remember thinking how modern they looked. They were nicknamed "egg-timers" I think, because of the wide cabs and narrow bodies :D

For me these were what I grew up with, it's such a shame to see them like this :(

Spot on, I'm a bit of an armchair train spotter and the Class 58 (nicknamed like you pointed out "The Egg Timer") was - and still is - one of my favourite locomotive designs. Don't ask me why and you can call me sad if you like but that's how it is with me. I think 100 of those were built in the early to mid-80's and while nearly all of those have been withdrawn from service, a small number are still in active service somewhere in Europe (Spain, I think).
Because of all that, that's why these two photos held a lot of appeal for me and found myself thinking I'd like to capture the same thing for myself. What I would like to see in this set up is having no other rolling stock in the background and no bushes about (as already mentioned), I'd like to see just the loco completely on it's at the end of a line or something like that. But there's nothing you can do about that, apart from asking the owner to move the loco to a more photographic location! :D
Good work all the same, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys (y)

Sadly, the yard is not accessible (not to me anyway!)
It's at the end of the airport I work at, separated by the large, barbed-wire fence!

Been very interesting reading the replies :)

I always loved the 58s, they're a few years younger than I and I'm from a railway family so I grew up seeing them. I think it was the fact they looked so much like American locomotive power, and of course the US seems so much more glamourous than the UK in general.

Still have a magazine with the famous shots of them being unloaded at Southampton somewhere.

Back