Dearne Valley Park

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
This film (XP400) was going to be sent elsewhere for processing but my OH dropped it into ASDA. These are the best (I think) despite their best attempts to mess up the scans. I tried out a graduated Orange filter but I'm not sure if it helped much with the sky/clouds. Taken with my Petri TTL.

Woahhhh they're contrasty - though they also look to be a bit oversharpened by our friends in Asda, I reckon.

I like the composition of them though, particularly 1 and 3. As you say, the orange grad doesn't look to have made much impact on the skies, but that's the problem with B&W fillum - sometimes there just ain't no sky to shoot :shrug:

Woahhhh they're contrasty - though they also look to be a bit oversharpened by our friends in Asda, I reckon.

I like the composition of them though, particularly 1 and 3. As you say, the orange grad doesn't look to have made much impact on the skies, but that's the problem with B&W fillum - sometimes there just ain't no sky to shoot :shrug:

Thanks for the comments. I still wonder whether to persevere with B&W films, but part of me prefers them to digital B&W (if that makes sense) & I do enjoy swapping over to this camera from my Nikon from time to time. I know the Petri has limits and was only ever a budget camera but I'm kind of attached to it after all these years.

Last edited:
I almost gave up on film B&W when I returned to shooting a couple of years ago, mainly because of the over-sharpened scans from chromagenic c41 films. Fortunately a nice chap from these parts gave me a processing tank and starter pack of chemicals, and I tried deving and scanning my own proper B&W. Now I hardly ever shoot B&W on the digital - I far, far, far prefer the look and feel of B&W film shots, even using the well respected SilverEfex B&W plugin for CS5/Lightroom, It just feels like there's something missing with the digital somehow.

Well, In for a penny in for a pound, I do not find the shot,s contrasty at all, in my opinion I find them very flat with very little tonality on each shot. The composition is good and the subject matter interesting.
If I was to point the finger it would be, that the shots are taken with an orange filter and you had them processed at Asda, who promptly killed any feeling in the shot and hit the"lets do this reel as if" button. It is a real shame that we sometimes cannot wait for processing and if we could the results would be so much better.
My offer to you is this.
http://www.photo-express.co.uk/
Very good value and a .50p per film discount to TP members, just quote your TP name. You will see the difference.
Regards,
Richard.

Well, In for a penny in for a pound, I do not find the shot,s contrasty at all, in my opinion I find them very flat with very little tonality on each shot. The composition is good and the subject matter interesting.
If I was to point the finger it would be, that the shots are taken with an orange filter and you had them processed at Asda, who promptly killed any feeling in the shot and hit the"lets do this reel as if" button. It is a real shame that we sometimes cannot wait for processing and if we could the results would be so much better.
My offer to you is this.
http://www.photo-express.co.uk/
Very good value and a .50p per film discount to TP members, just quote your TP name. You will see the difference.
Regards,
Richard.

Thanks for the comments - Yes, I was going to mail off the film to another company but my OH was feeling helpful and just took the film in for me.
I'm not sure how much the orange filter affected the shots as it's graduated (only the top half is orange). Looking at the link you posted they state Colour 35mm film only - will they do B&W as well?
Next time the film won't be going to Asda and I'm pleased you found the composition & subject matter positive.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Last edited:
Photo-express will do C-41 B&W but not proper B&W.

Club 35 is usually great for developing my C-41 films, I've not used the for B&W yet but have heard good things from others on here that have.

http://www.club35.co.uk/35mmb&w.html

If you just want scans, no prints, then look in the the 'Scanning to CD' section.

I would personally get a non graduated yellow filter as it induces some contrast to the whole picture and an orange or red filter for when you want a more dramatic effect. Unfortunately with black and white if the sky is overcast then its very difficult to get contrast in the sky.

Back