Decent SLR

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Well at the moment i have my grandads Nikon D70 he wants to sell it for around £300 with few things extras

Before i do go and buy it i just want to know if anyone can suggest a better SLR for around the same price? I only want to spend £300 maybe a tiny bit over

Thanks in advance

Hmmm i thinking i may just ask him if i can keep his for 3 weeks save my £300 for now maybe have a few lessons and then get a decent SLR next month and will give me time to think before i rush in to things

So what do you all suggest for around the £500 mark maybe more?

Sorry for changing my mind lol

Lol, you really are best going into a camera store, and having a test and feel of all the models within that range, as what suits someone here, might not suit you. It has to feel right. Look into Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Olympus E-510 twin lens kit, I suggest. If it has to be Nikon only, then I maintain...the D40x or D60.

It all depends on what are the extras you are getting.. what lenses are coming with the camera.

The D70 is a cracking camera and should not be written off due to its age, if you want to see what it cam produce visit the forums at www.dpreview.com and have a look for posts by morris he uses D70 for all his wildlife images and they are superb.

If you are being given lenses or even a lens for the 300 it will get you going. The normal lens that came with the D70 is the 18-70 and that is a good piece of glass to be starting with..

Shutterman

It all depends on what are the extras you are getting.. what lenses are coming with the camera.

The D70 is a cracking camera and should not be written off due to its age, if you want to see what it cam produce visit the forums at www.dpreview.com and have a look for posts by morris he uses D70 for all his wildlife images and they are superb.

If you are being given lenses or even a lens for the 300 it will get you going. The normal lens that came with the D70 is the 18-70 and that is a good piece of glass to be starting with..

Shutterman

That is what is on there now im not sure what the other 1 is as i dont have it he just let me have the basics so i could see if this is the thing i want to get into

It is a great camera i just felt i wanted a newer nikon :)

Suggest going for the newer D40x or the D60 if you plan on sticking with Nikon.

Why? The D70 is a very good camera and has a built in motor so you can use all of Nikons AF-D lenses. It also uses a CCD sensor which (to some degree) offers better per pixel image quality compared to CMOS. The D40/60 cant use AF-D lenses, is/are smaller and dont really offer anything different bar a few megapixels.

Though I would be tempted to haggle him down to £200 - £250 as £300 is pushing it.

Why? The D70 is a very good camera and has a built in motor so you can use all of Nikons AF-D lenses. It also uses a CCD sensor which (to some degree) offers better per pixel image quality compared to CMOS. The D40/60 cant use AF-D lenses, is/are smaller and dont really offer anything different bar a few megapixels.

Though I would be tempted to haggle him down to £200 - £250 as £300 is pushing it.

Im thinking keep this and buy a decent lens with next months wage :)

If you can get the D70 with two lenses for 300 I would do that and it will get you started, and in some respects it is a better camera than some of the budget nikon, if you were to get a newer body you would only be getting one lens with it and it would most likely cost you 450 to 500.

However you could get and Oly twin lens kit for 399 (I think that is the price I saw recently) But even though the D70 is only 6.1mp it will still be a great camera to start out with.

Shutterman

I do not recall saying the D70 is not a good camera, but it was evident from the post, that the poster is looking towards other options now as well. The D40 and D60 are the only ones within that price range that might come with something...hence I suggested those two cameras since the poster seemed to be wanting to consider other options.

KB I think his granddad is giving two lenses with that... I thought it was a fair price .... depending on the lens line up...

But that only my opinion...

Shutterman

Buying additional glass to stick on the D70 is a very good way to go.... Having better glass is always a plus as it can be used on other bodies at later date...

Shutterman

KB I think his granddad is giving two lenses with that... I thought it was a fair price .... depending on the lens line up...

But that only my opinion...

Shutterman

Also a spare bat and carry case and 1 mayb 2 1gig memory crads :)

Well, if all that is included in the price and you are starting out, I suggest you stick to that and upgrade later on maybe.

For the 300 that is being asked you would have everything need to get going... I think that is a good deal...

And you know where the camera comes from so you know you are not getting a lemon.

Thats always a bonus

Shutterman

Yer and can always go to him for help with it etc

Ok i have made up my mind im going to stick with the D70 and get in to the whole thing i need a hobbie :)

Thanks people :p

I have a D40X with loads of extras for £300, its in the for sale section

not heard back from someone who wants to buy it yet so its still here

I bought a D70 from Ceebs on here and a nice lens, Ive since bought a bigger lens to go with it, loads of accessories and am more than happy. I do have the urge to go for a d300 but i want to get some nice glass for the D70 and then upgrade in a years time.

The kit i have will be great for getting some STUNNING shots and serving my DSLR learning.

You always want more and more in life. After taking advice from people on here and other sites, adding great glass to the D70 and upgrading later on is the way to go.

Just the 1 at the mo but im sure he is giving me another with it when i buy it

The D70 is IMO better than the D40 and D40X purely for the reason that the D70 has both wireless flash capability and has the AF motor to use with the older lenses.

Totally agree with Peachy that photography is one of the best hobbies to have, although be prepared for it to get expensive !!

Well at the moment i have my grandads Nikon D70 he wants to sell it for around £300 with few things extras

Before i do go and buy it i just want to know if anyone can suggest a better SLR for around the same price? I only want to spend £300 maybe a tiny bit over

Thanks in advance
he should give you for nothing i would if it was my grandkid

D70 is a good solid body, high ISO is a bit messy, but usuable.

None of this twiddly D40/D60 dinky nonsense either, which is a bonus.

Lol, you really are best going into a camera store, and having a test and feel of all the models within that range, as what suits someone here, might not suit you. It has to feel right. Look into Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Olympus E-510 twin lens kit, I suggest. If it has to be Nikon only, then I maintain...the D40x or D60.

As for trying everything... good advice, look at the Sony alpha's too.

But the Nikon advice,
Nooooo! If a good one is available to you Get the second hand D70, its a much better camera than the D40x or D60.

As like the current D80 the D70 is derived by down scaling the D100-D200-D300 family architecture, unlike the D40x and D60 which are a budget from the ground up architecture.

Back