Decent waders?

Edit My Images
No
Does anyone on here go fishing?

I'm after a decent set of waders for use when photographing near streams, river banks and general waters edge area's. I want something that comes up to my chest and has a built in boot...but...the boot must be something comfortable and not just a 'welly' as the waders could be worn for extended periods with me needing to walk about a bit as locations - especially at the end of the year when I go back to Donna Nook for the grey seals.

Any suggestions appreciated. Budget...the cost of whatever does a good job!

have a look for bootless or stocking foot waders. Best of both worlds, waterproof and you can match them up with your own choice of footwear.

have a look for bootless or stocking foot waders. Best of both worlds, waterproof and you can match them up with your own choice of footwear.
Ah right ok, that sounds appealing. Although thinking about it, I'm going to Mull in a few weeks so at times will need the waders and others just normal boots/trousers so I'd need spare boots if I went with stocking foot waders I guess.

Does anyone on here go fishing?

I'm after a decent set of waders for use when photographing near streams, river banks and general waters edge area's. I want something that comes up to my chest and has a built in boot...but...the boot must be something comfortable and not just a 'welly' as the waders could be worn for extended periods with me needing to walk about a bit as locations - especially at the end of the year when I go back to Donna Nook for the grey seals.

Any suggestions appreciated. Budget...the cost of whatever does a good job!

I've done a bit of fishing for a few decades.

Used this company a lot:-
http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_446-fishing-waders-and-boots/

Good firm to deal with. Often alert you to bargains.

Notice you want chest waders.
If you are planning to go in deep make sure you have a wading staff or similar.

I bought some Greys breathable stocking foot waders a while back and they were superb, I haven't used them in a while though, no time to go fishing these days! :crying:

Breathables are good, much better then neoprene IMO, you'll sweat yer cobs off with neoprene unless it's -20°C.

Mine were about £99 and the boots were £49

i use the scierra cc3 on this page here

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/ProductsInCounter.cfm?subcat=3127&ShopRef=23&cat=356&affiliate=5,142&gclid=CJzK76nA8pkCFUqS3wodL0fzRw

bear in mind that while stocking foot waders are good, they are a bloody pain if you are in and out of the water, walking on land is "different" as the boots are sodden, i use the bootfoot version and fit some top drawer insoles for comfort, this enables me to slip them off and put my shoes back on to drive to the next place. i have walked over 4 miles in mine, right round a bird sanctuary to the pub on the other bank, slipped the waders off, put my trainers on and gone for a pint ! the breathable ones are very thin and lightweight and when packed away are the same size as a pair of wellies. the stocking foot version pack away much smaller but the boots are much bigger (size 9 feet = size 10+ boots). i would also consider waist high waders but stay away from nylon and neoprene, neither are good to walk in and both will make you sweat. go to a BIG tackle shop and try a few different makes on as the sizing of waders is odd to say the least, the more you pay the better the fit and the greater the comfort :)

hope this helps (y)

nearly forgot, Gerrys of wimbledon would be a good place to go....if you happen to be a millionaire or just stupid, theres Farlows of pall mall !

14ujjlu.jpg

;)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=96198&highlight=waders

I edit a fishing mag and have gone through loads of pairs.. Breathables are the best but aren't as warm as neoprenes, plus they're more expensive, but much more comfortable.

I use Airflo chesties with a zip down the front but they are £200 without the boot. Very comfortable though and loads of room to wear thermals inside. You can pick up a good set of breathables for about £100 from somewhere like Glasgow Angling Centre.

Shimano and Shakespeare do good neoprene chesties with comfy boots - about £50 if I remember rightly.

If you do go for stocking foot breathables then figure in the cost of a set of good boots (I use Vision ones from Guide FlyFishing - superb) and get one with a felt sole that you can screw cleats into at your leisure. Cleats are good but offer no safe grip on rocks

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, lots for me to wade through (boom boom). I've got two weeks before I need them so should be able to find something suitable from all teh info given :)

Back