Deer Rut recommendations in the South

Sue, how are you mate,oh and another cheers for the kindness shown to us as we tried to sort out our latest camera.:) Thanks Sue really lovely of you and not forgotten !! We are fairly local to each other,what species are you referring to please??

Glad I was able to help, Stu [emoji4]. They are reds, and I would be very happy to show you the spot if you fancy. It is on the western slopes of the Malverns, so useless for early mornings, but great for evening light.

Glad I was able to help, Stu [emoji4]. They are reds, and I would be very happy to show you the spot if you fancy. It is on the western slopes of the Malverns, so useless for early mornings, but great for evening light.

Sue,bless ya mate,thankyou.

Sue we have spent so much time chasing our fallow plus I'm under so much pressure time wise anyway for the rut at least (after a good chat) we really feel it's best to tough it out here and throw every spare minute at the palmates. That said if it's ok i'd love to shoot you a pm in a couple of weeks. We would both love to see some wilder reds than are available to us and maybe get some pics. I didn't realise Malvern was home to reds,leastways as I write maybe I did know:rolleyes: somethings stirring in the old grey cells ,but I can't place it as of yet,surely long forgotten. My reality is that my work load will probably increase to stupidity up until chrimbo ,and then slacken off.

Bare with me though Sue and huge thanks,if I had more time i'd be bothering you much sooner. Ahh mate we have spent so long on these fallow I just have to keep trying especially now and especially after the sighting tonight I just feel so close now to getting somewhere it's very hard to move away from them,which i'm sure you'll understand. It takes so long to really get "into" a wild herd I just have to keep pushing,ha it's not quite the same I suspect as popping down to a deer park ahh you know already what i'm trying to articulate

Thank you though,it's wonderful there are so many folks in this wildlife togging world that just try to help others along

take care

Stu

It sounds a fascinating project with the fallow. I visit a site that regularly has fallow does (I had one suckling a fawn right in front of me last time) but I have never seen a stag there. I would be very happy to take you up to the reds whenever you have time [emoji4]

It sounds a fascinating project with the fallow. I visit a site that regularly has fallow does (I had one suckling a fawn right in front of me last time) but I have never seen a stag there. I would be very happy to take you up to the reds whenever you have time [emoji4]

Sue i'd lay a bet your boys will be about now,possibly best chance of finding at dawn or dusk by the groaning on a still day. I believe and this is being backed up by research and talking to more knowledgable folks the bucks go off in batchelor groups for the summer. From what you have said your fallow echo mine exactly. I have started to post a few of our pics in wildlife Sue,but there is much more yet to come,i simply can't keep up. We didn't get out sparring bucks at the weekend despite best efforts.But we did spend something like an hour with a young lad and his harem,A bit young really,but there are a lot of ladies here to go round. It was utterly wonderful . I'd guess if it is happening now here your fallow will be the same

Thanks again kiddo

Stu

Is the rut in Richmond over? I was hoping to see it this Saturday.

Was there this morning. Its pretty much over and the deer are starting to form in mixed herds now. There may still be the odd below but its very much the tail ned of the action. If you do go this weekend Richmond Gate is shut all weekend for roadworks

Was there this morning. Its pretty much over and the deer are starting to form in mixed herds now. There may still be the odd below but its very much the tail ned of the action. If you do go this weekend Richmond Gate is shut all weekend for roadworks
Oh well better something than nothing. I thought that normally it was October to November but I guess if it is early....

Richmond Park cull is November (females) and March (males). Bushy Park cull is September (males) and November (females). All gates are locked from 10pm (approx) until 8am (but in reality it is about 7.30am) when the vehicle gates open (at least for BP). This is Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday are open 24 hours for pedestrians - usual hours for cars.

Here is the the official times for Bushy https://www.royalparks.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/41365/Bushy-Park-Opening-Times-2016.pdf

And Richmond Park http://www.parkcycle.co.uk/downloads/richmond-park-opening-times-2016.pdf

Rut still going in Bushy Park - was there this morning. A few red deer stags are bellowing but little confrontation. Fallow deer hinds still barking and locking antlers. Seemed to be better last Saturday and Sunday when we had cooler weather with a light frost.

Stephen

Last edited:
Back