Deer Rutting in Devon

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know of ant decent places in Devon to watch/photograph deer? I'm in south devon so I'm going to have a look up haldon forest at the weekend. I know there's exmoor but its quite a long way for me to go without having any clue where to look once I get there.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Gary

I'm not far from you, just outside Newton Abbot in fact. I can almost guarantee that if I go out and drive for 10 to 15 minutes at the right time of day (towards dusk), that I can see deer or a fox in the fields around where I live. A few nights ago I went out with a new lens and saw two deer in one field and a fox in another, then tonight I went out, with virtually no light left, and spotted another two deer in a field a good way from the road. I got out of the car and sneaked up pretty close to them, but they were in very long grass, so couldn't get much of a sight of them. Then suddenly another two that were even closer popped up, alerted by my big feet, and they all fled. Needless to say I got no photos of any note - I am just scanning the lie of the land to locate good places from where to set up for longer shoots when I've got more time.

I'd be happy to discuss it further with you if you want to send me a PM.

Cheers
Alex

Back