Beginner Delayed flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with using my speed light on aperture mode and have finally run out of patience so am hoping someone can help.

I have a Nikon D5100 and Yungnuo YN565EX speed light and it works fine in auto mode however I dislike the lack of control it gives me. I've tried to shoot in aperture mode but the flash is always delayed which means that I miss the shot with a moving subject. Is there a simple setting that I have missed?

Sorry if this has already been asked but I'm not sure what the problem is so haven't been able to work out what to search for.

Many thanks.

Hi, Have you altered the 1st and 2nd curtain sync on the unit S1 or S2?
Russ

Last edited:
I know this is a daft question but you haven't inadvertently switched red eye reduction on ?

I don't think that's a daft question .... I have experienced the same confusing behaviour when I had my camera Flash Mode set to 'Red-Eye Reduction' without realising. I think this mode sends out an additional pre-flash to close down the subjects pupils, and this can cause a delay before the main exposure flash occurs.

I've just checked and yes, red eye reduction was on. Many thanks for all the replies.

I've just checked and yes, red eye reduction was on. Many thanks for all the replies.
Let's add a bit more info then, red eye is caused by shining a flash from close to a lens. The best way to avoid red eye is to bounce the flash, creating a light source that's a long way from the camera. Better light and no red eye.

Back