Dell??

Nikon_Nick

Shirley
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon,

Im currently on the hunt for a new laptop as my HP Pavillion...thing just doesnt really cut it anymore. There a couple MacBooks that are trying to seduce me at the moment, but ive also been wondering if Dell would be any good for my needs. I use a Dell machine for work, and its and its always been reliable/quick etc. Ive never used one for photo editing though. Main uses would be Lightroom and Photoshop, so wondered if any of you had experience (good or bad) when using Dell for this purpose.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

I think the dell xps 15 is supposed to have a good screen for photo editing, but it is the same or similar price to a MacBook pro.

I do well with mine fair enough its now over 2 years old but I think it performs well + I think it would cost a small fortune to upgrade to something better.
Dell Inspiron 7786
I7 8th gen 1.8ghz runs at 4.6ghz in turbo.
24gb ram
512 nvme and I added a 2tb ssd for bulk storage.
Nvidia 2gb Gforce mx150 so wont win any gaming awards.
IMO it flies through lightroom and photoshop no issues at all.

Last edited:
I have a Dell XPS15 9530, 16GB RAM, i7 quad core processor, additional graphics chipset/memory, bought June 2014 and still my daily driver. I've upgraded the storage, presently running a 1TB mSATA SSD boot drive and 2TB HDD storage drive, otherwise hardware is stock. I also replaced the thermal paste under the heatsinks in the last few months, and that really reduced thermal throttling and boosted performance back to the point where I don't need to upgrade yet. The QHD screen is really good except for photo editing, where the super-high res can flatter an image and make it look better than it really is. It manages Lightroom, On1 Photoraw, Affinity, Capture 1 20 without trouble.

Faults? I replaced the first battery at 3 years old because it was swelling and the battery is now due for replacement again, causing problems with the trackpad due to pressure from underneath - I had a replacement keyboard (fitted by Dell onsite under warranty) that I think may have been damaged by the swelling battery. There are also a couple of small bright spots that have appeared on the screen, not enough to cause problems, but they are noticeable. Finally, after 5 years of daily plugging and unplugging the mini-display port, that connector has become a little flakey and I run my external screen through the HDMI port.

This cost me £1000 through the Dell outlet, when the equivalent refurb Macbook was £1700 (and NO upgrade path). My next machine will likely be a desktop & I'll fit this with a new battery for computing on the move.

There was a time I wouldn't have touched Dell with a barge pole.
However, last year I bought a G3 laptop and Dell have really impressed me.
The nearest match spec wise via other companies were coming out at least £150 more.
The support assistant app is really good with driver and BIOS updates.
I had a problem with the OS recovery tool not updating, I contacted support and 5 minutes later it was all sorted.
I've just agreed to a 3 year support / warranty for £112 which I think is quite reasonable.

I'm the other way round.

Always used to extol the vitues of Dell.

So about 3 years ago my missus wanted a laptop & she bought one off Dell refurb site after my recommendation.

It arrived with 5 screws missing from the underside.

Never again.

I am a big fan of DELL kit, having bought hundreds of DELL desktops and laptops over the years when I worked in a school managing its IT. They are robust, easy to repair when they go wrong & spare parts are freely available plus there's always plenty of documentation to help strip them down & put them back together. Now that I am retired we have a couple of DELL laptops at home, along with several DELL desktops and a DELL server hosting my data and our CCTV monitoring.

I would also rate Lenovo. When I worked for a Global Outsourcing Company it was often more cost effective to replace client 'generic' laptops with Lenovo units rather than try and repair them as spare parts were so hard to find.

When the Government in it's wisdom decided to outsource school ICT during the ill-fated Building Schools for the Future we were supplied with hundreds of Toshiba laptops which were a disaster. 450 were replaced because the wireless cards they were fitted with simply did not work with the wireless infrastructure we were given. Maintaining them was difficult as spares were hard to obtain.

Back