Denon DT-1

S

stupar

Does anyone own the above mini hifi system, if so I'm looking for thoughts .

I've got £200 to spend on a new hifi that could double up by taking sound from my TV for movies too.
The Denon DT-1 jumped out for being close to budget, has optical in so I can pull sound from the TV easily and it looks nice.

Feel free to recommend other options whether it be a hifi or an amp/speaker combo.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing Denon's reputation for these mini hi-fi's, it's probably very good. We've had Denon systems for over 25 years, having just two different ones in that time. We currently have a DM39 which is the grandfather of the current DM41 and it really is very good. With a bundled system like the DT-1 I would expect the speakers to be the weak point and reading some reviews on Amazon,etc. is strongly recommended.

Knowing Denon's reputation for these mini hi-fi's, it's probably very good. We've had Denon systems for over 25 years, having just two different ones in that time. We currently have a DM39 which is the grandfather of the current DM41 and it really is very good. With a bundled system like the DT-1 I would expect the speakers to be the weak point and reading some reviews on Amazon,etc. is strongly recommended.
Yeah I kind of figured that too.
It did make me think about getting a DM39 or DM40 and then holding out for separate speakers.

It would throw me over budget but likely worth it for better overall sound quality.

What speakers do you have?

£200 is unlikely to be a hi-fi system. Having said that, Denon are usually pretty good

Depends what you want to do with the hifi.

Based on some advice here, I bought some Edifier R1280DB speakers for my computer. These are active speakers so you can connect anything with a 3.5mm jack, RCA sockets, optical or bluetooth to them. They sound pretty nice and I'm now a convert to active speakers. I use them for computer sound and streaming Spotify from my phone and still have 3 inputs spare.

It would leave you about 80 quid over for the other bits of your HiFi. That won't get you high end separates - but neither will £200 for a combo :)

Depends what you want to do with the hifi.

Based on some advice here, I bought some Edifier R1280DB speakers for my computer. These are active speakers so you can connect anything with a 3.5mm jack, RCA sockets, optical or bluetooth to them. They sound pretty nice and I'm now a convert to active speakers. I use them for computer sound and streaming Spotify from my phone and still have 3 inputs spare.

It would leave you about 80 quid over for the other bits of your HiFi. That won't get you high end separates - but neither will £200 for a combo :)
I used to have a set of Edifier R1280T's hooked up to my PC and they sounded good, but I have always liked the idea of an amp and speakers or a mini hifi system that would do similar but with some extra features.

I'm definitely not looking for high end audio but £200 spent on a system or an amp/speaker combo is going to sound far better than the tiny tinny sounding speakers on my TV.

If I go with a mini hifi system I also get the benefit of CD player, bluetooth and DAB etc.

Its just deciding which way to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a set of Edifier R1280T's hooked up to my PC and they sounded good, but I have always liked the idea of an amp and speakers or a mini hifi system that would do similar but with some extra features.

I'm definitely not looking for high end audio but £200 spent on a system or an amp/speaker combo is going to sound far better than the tiny tinny sounding speakers on my TV.

If I go with a mini hifi system I also get the benefit of CD player, bluetooth and DAB etc.

Its just deciding which way to go!

I would look at secondhand hi-fi gear although a lot of the better value is in the larger units.
My separate amp and cd player (TEAC) are both small, but the speakers are floor type on stands.
Also have some Edifiers as pc speakers, mine are R1280DB and surprisingly good for size and price.
In our spare/hobbies room we have active speakers (Kanto YU6) these are larger more powerful units.
Connected to a small laptop and external dac (Topping E30) its really good and gets excellent reviews, not expensive either.

I wouldn't be put off using active speakers with a decent dac, probably better sound than a mini hi-fi for the available budget

I would look at secondhand hi-fi gear although a lot of the better value is in the larger units.
My separate amp and cd player (TEAC) are both small, but the speakers are floor type on stands.
Also have some Edifiers as pc speakers, mine are R1280DB and surprisingly good for size and price.
In our spare/hobbies room we have active speakers (Kanto YU6) these are larger more powerful units.
Connected to a small laptop and external dac (Topping E30) its really good and gets excellent reviews, not expensive either.

I wouldn't be put off using active speakers with a decent dac, probably better sound than a mini hi-fi for the available budget
DAC and active speakers looks like a good idea too.

Had a look at both the Topping E30 and the SMSL Sanskrit 10th anniversary.
Both could be powered from a USB port on the TV, both have optical in too.

All I would need is to then buy a pair of active speakers which I don't mind pushing my budget on to get a decent pair.

Just thought I would update this thread to give you an update.

I expanded my budget and bought a Denon RCD DM41 and a pair of Dali Zensor 1 speakers.
Best £300 I've spent!

Just need to get a pair of speaker stands now.

Back