Derwent Dam - Derbyshire

JPS

Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't been out much to do any 'photoing' this past month or two - I had the 'can't be bothered' syndrome I think. Anyway, we (the wife and I) went out this afternoon - mainly due to the weather being dry and sunny-ish. I drove out the the Peak District on the off chance that there might be some snow on the hillsides, there was but only right at the very top of the Snake Pass and then there wasn't much left. I stopped off at the picnic area on the Derwent Valley and went over to see the Derwent Dam. By this time the light was going and being at the bottom of a valley it was all gloomy anyway.

I managed to get a few shots of the dam, combining a shot for the sky and one for the foreground - not the most successful attempt but I'm hoping I get my interest back soon and then I'll be out taking more - may even go back here in the spring/summer when the light is better.

DerwentDamcopy.jpg

like it
might try standing a few inches taller to separate the fence from the waterline
and shame about the contrails

exposure top notch tho!(y)

This works for me, really well captured. (y)

i like that very much :)

I like it. I went there a couple of years ago, again with no water going over. It sure is a beautiful area, must go again soon!!!

Aidy

I like this, composition is good however could be improved from maybe standing on a small step ladder so your shooting over the fence. Exposure looks bang on :) You have now inspired me to go and take some images as it looks like an amazing place and the surrounding areas arent oo bad either :)

I had planned to head up to Ladybower today, but as the weather has been apauling I have been in all day :thumbsdown:

Planning to head up there next weekend though. I live in Derbyshire, but have never been!

Nice shot good composition and exposure, I go here several times a month as I live round the corner so to speak, If you go on a weekday you can drive to the very end of the reservoirs with some stunning scenery.

Nice shot good composition and exposure, I go here several times a month as I live round the corner so to speak, If you go on a weekday you can drive to the very end of the reservoirs with some stunning scenery.

Is that the small road that leads to a dead end, quite a way up? Is that not open at the weekend? Any advice on locations over there I should take a look at next weekend?

Is that the small road that leads to a dead end, quite a way up? Is that not open at the weekend? Any advice on locations over there I should take a look at next weekend?
You get to the carpark where the large wall in this thread was photographed and there is a gate and a sign that states that at weekends and bank holidays the road is closed to all motor vehicles except disabled drivers. During the week you can drive along it..... for several miles.
As for other locations in the area, Stanage edge, mam tor, castleton, padley gorge, even if the weather is pants you can get some good shots.
mamtor.jpg

howdenwinter.jpg

bwstiletp.jpg

lboweraut001.jpg

I had actually planned on driving up there at the weekend as a friend had told me that it's a nice drive. I will perhaps have to go up on a Friday (day off work). I'm south Derbyshire myself, and so I'm a little out of touch with whats on offer towards Sheffield / Glossop area. Many thanks for posting though!

You get to the carpark where the large wall in this thread was photographed and there is a gate and a sign that states that at weekends and bank holidays the road is closed to all motor vehicles except disabled drivers. During the week you can drive along it..... for several miles.

Thanks for this info, I'll be sure to go next time during the week and see what lies 'beyond the gate' so to speak. I have often been to this point, but always at a weekend so thought the road was always closed off. :(

Back