Developer then

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
OK people, I reckon I've got about another week or so left with the ID-11 and then I'm out - especially as I've got a couple of films from Lynton coming through early next week.

Mostly I shoot Rollei Retro (agfa) but sometimes FP4/HP5 (though not often. Then there's the propensity for boiling a colour film now and again that needs to be considered...

Want a one shot since that's pretty much how I use the ID-11 these days, good shelf life, nice contrast, low grain, cheap. Looking at Perceptol or Rodinal right now... discuss :D

Good shelf life and cheap, it's hard to get past Rodinal - 500ml at 1+50 one shot, should do 85 rolls or thereabouts. 21.7pence per film inv. postage, not too shabby.

Last edited:
Goddamn stupid post office pansies... looks like it would have to be two bottles to make it worthwhile there!

What about Perceptol - from whence the champagne effect, you or the developer?

Thanks Mr X, but compared to the Rodinal it's still a bit pricey?

Well - I didn't suggest perceptol, because it's pretty much a fine grain, slower version of ID-11 - it's lovely if you're shooting landscapes on Delta 100 or something like that, and works wonders at taking the grain out of the faster Delta films, but it's not really a general purpose option imho. It's also pretty much the same price and so forth as ID-11, but i've found it maybe a bit less contrasty. Not a problem for scanning and CS5 tweak merchants like myself of course. To my shame, i've not done another B&W film since my last foaming escapade - I'm trying to think of something less boring to shoot, and drawing a blank at the moment :shrug:

Arthur...I should be finishing my roll of FP4 this Sunday with a trip to Castle Combe village with friends...can I send it off to you on Monday (with SAE etc - as you offered in Medway Green's thread?!) ;):D

yup - sure can James, did I send you an address?

Its difficult to see past Rodinal for economical GPurpose developer.
Sometimes I found it a little coarse @ 1+25 though.
I used to use Ilfosol S, but they don't make it any more so I'm using Ilfosol 3, so far I haven't noticed much difference.
I'm glad to get away from powder mixes..

Powder's another reason for me leaving ID-11 - you gotta mix it all at once else it gets all damp no matter what you (I) do :(

Why's that then?

I'm no chemist so can only go with what I find the negs like and they are a good mix of contrast, fine grain and shadow detail, mixed 1:3. I may have another go with Rodinal when I open the box of Rollei Retro as it's Agfa APX100 and might be balanced for Agfa material.
I've never got on with hi-tech T-grain films or their special devs, they looked a bit lifeless and clumpy to my eyes.
The powder issue is a real one, especially with a 5-litre pack as you have to be winding lots of film to beat the oxydisation time limits.

Last edited:
So in fact, assuming Rollei/Agfa film, you're a plus one for the Rodinal then... ?

So in fact, assuming Rollei/Agfa film, you're a plus one for the Rodinal then... ?

S'pose so. I was a big Agfa fan, film, dev and paper. Used to love printing a nice 120 neg on Agfa Portriga 12 x 9 and half". Dia-Direct B&W slide film was lovely stuff too if you had a tripod.
Looking back over years of negs I did too much experimenting with materials and not enough fine tuning and I've got the ID-11 down to a T and don't want to jinx it!

Back