Developing 120mm film

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys,

So I'm a total film newbie:wave:

I have been given a Bronica ETRS from a family member and I have been loving it:love:

Now I want to give it a shot at developing my own film, and a friend has this stuff for sale. Could you advise me if its suitable for me needs/what more is needed?

Paterson Super System Developing Tin(I'm sure you can get the medium format spindles anyway)
3 tongs (different colours with rubber on the ends for grip),
Paterson Negative Grain Finder,
1litre Fixer,
250ml Indi Stop Bath,
250ml Developer.
Also have a brand new can of Dust-Off and a roll of Ektachrome 120 film

Thank you in advance! :)

Thermometer and three 1ltr jugs for Developer,Stop bath and Fixer.A bowl the type and size you put in the sink.Bowl is for mixing the water at 20 deg C.
If you are printing the film you need a lot more things.:cool:

Darkroom or b*****d changing bag to put film onto spiral.

I got plastic jugs 2 for £1 from poundland.

Heather

Hey guys,

So I'm a total film newbie:wave:

I have been given a Bronica ETRS from a family member and I have been loving it:love:

Now I want to give it a shot at developing my own film, and a friend has this stuff for sale. Could you advise me if its suitable for me needs/what more is needed?

Paterson Super System Developing Tin(I'm sure you can get the medium format spindles anyway)
3 tongs (different colours with rubber on the ends for grip),
Paterson Negative Grain Finder,

1litre Fixer,
250ml Indi Stop Bath,
250ml Developer.
Also have a brand new can of Dust-Off and a roll of Ektachrome 120 film

Thank you in advance! :)

Most of that stuff you don't need for developing film, most of that (which I've highlighted in bold) is for making prints out of negatives.

Are you developing colour (negative or transparency?) or B&W? B&W is simpler to do and is probably best to start off with as it doesn't require the fine temperature control of colour and the chemicals go off fairly quickly so you've got to shoot a lot to justify it.

Is the developing tank a Paterson Super System 4 and is it the 'universal tank' version as there is also a 35mm only one? The standard Paterson Auto-Load reels can be expanded to fit 35mm/126, 127 and 120/220 film.

What is the developer and how old is it? Different developers give different final results, it sounds to me like its B&W developer as there are also additional chemicals to the dev/stop/fix for colour. I would start off with a nice and easy liquid one shot (dillute concentrate and use once) developer, my personal choice being Paterson Aculux 3 as its fairly sharp but nice and fine grained although there are many other types of developer, try taking a look around AG Photographics website as they sell nearly all forms of film chemicals and are happy to help if you have any questions etc. They also do some film developing kits which you might want to look at.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/black--white-chemicals-8-c.asp

So to summarise you need:

• A darkroom or light-tight film changing bag
  • A developing tank
  • Film developer
  • Film Stop (although a water rinse can be used)
  • Film Fixer
  • Developing reel that fits 120 film
  • Measuring cylinder
  • Container e.g jugs to keep the dilluted chemicals in during developing
  • A thermometer to check the chemicals are the right temperature as this affects the dev time
  • Some B&W film! That Ektachrome is colour transparency film which is more complex to develop.

There is a stickied thread on how to develop a B&W film at the top of this forum section which I think you'll find useful although both Kodak and Ilford also do some very helpful guides if you search for them. If you have any questions on suitability of chemicals etc then ask and someone will help you.

Mmm three replies and no mention of protective clothing

Please don't be put off as with common sense and a little care there is little if any "danger" , however wearing gloves ( latex or equivalent if allergic), apron or lab coat and some form of eye protection is to me normal practice.

Don't forget some pets (cats in particular) are curious as are young children!!

Most of that stuff you don't need for developing film, most of that (which I've highlighted in bold) is for making prints out of negatives.

Are you developing colour (negative or transparency?) or B&W? B&W is simpler to do and is probably best to start off with as it doesn't require the fine temperature control of colour and the chemicals go off fairly quickly so you've got to shoot a lot to justify it.

Is the developing tank a Paterson Super System 4 and is it the 'universal tank' version as there is also a 35mm only one? The standard Paterson Auto-Load reels can be expanded to fit 35mm/126, 127 and 120/220 film.

What is the developer and how old is it? Different developers give different final results, it sounds to me like its B&W developer as there are also additional chemicals to the dev/stop/fix for colour. I would start off with a nice and easy liquid one shot (dillute concentrate and use once) developer, my personal choice being Paterson Aculux 3 as its fairly sharp but nice and fine grained although there are many other types of developer, try taking a look around AG Photographics website as they sell nearly all forms of film chemicals and are happy to help if you have any questions etc. They also do some film developing kits which you might want to look at.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/black--white-chemicals-8-c.asp

So to summarise you need:

• A darkroom or light-tight film changing bag
  • A developing tank
  • Film developer
  • Film Stop (although a water rinse can be used)
  • Film Fixer
  • Developing reel that fits 120 film
  • Measuring cylinder
  • Container e.g jugs to keep the dilluted chemicals in during developing
  • A thermometer to check the chemicals are the right temperature as this affects the dev time
  • Some B&W film! That Ektachrome is colour transparency film which is more complex to develop.

There is a stickied thread on how to develop a B&W film at the top of this forum section which I think you'll find useful although both Kodak and Ilford also do some very helpful guides if you search for them. If you have any questions on suitability of chemicals etc then ask and someone will help you.

Thank you for taking the time to type that out! Very informative :clap:

Unfortunately the tank is a 35mm one only, so the hunt continues. Should be made alot easier now by my well gained knowledge.

Thanks all!(y)

Back