Dictaphone to record settings?

Messages
1,919
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Out this morning with a Konica Autoreflex TC, Hexanon 40mm lens and a roll of HP5. I tried to remember the settings I used, but my aging brain failed me. Recording them on my phone is way too much of a faff. Wondered about a cheap and cheerful dictaphone that is as small as possible. Voice activated would be even better. Any thoughts?
 
I always use a pen & paper . . .
I have done from time to time but it's not always possible when I'm out and about. Rucksack to carry, dog to keep an eye on, my wife needs help on walks sometimes. Sal has a digital camera and I might just be taking longer to snap a film shot.
 
It might be a daft question, but why do you want to record your settings? It's highly unlikely they will ever be the same again. And anyway you adjust for the conditions.
 
Can you get over the faff and use your phone rather than buying another device? Buying and carrying another device and remembering to have it charged and with you also includes faff and hassle.

I'm no fan of smartphones BTW but they do have their uses.
 
It's not for everyday use. I'm a bit OCD and organise "things" that don't really need it. I'm testing a number of cameras whose metering is a bit suspect and I just wanted a record of what settings it gave me and then I could check the outcome when the negs came back. Most of my gear is reliable in terms of metering and I never record anything. Too much time on my hands I suppose. (NOT)
 
I wrote myself an app for exactly this - it records the settings a shot at, what the selected area metered at and the EV value my settings exposed for. Plus it’s geotagged. So I have a record of where, when, how and what I shot.

It’s also very specifically an 80mm 6x6 framing too, it’s for my Hasselblad.
 

Attachments

  • Tree.JPG
    Tree.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 3
I wrote myself an app for exactly this - it records the settings a shot at, what the selected area metered at and the EV value my settings exposed for. Plus it’s geotagged. So I have a record of where, when, how and what I shot.

It’s also very specifically an 80mm 6x6 framing too, it’s for my Hasselblad.
WOW! That's clever.
 
My lens is 69 years old and overdue a CLA, some of the shutter speeds are more fiction than fact, so I need to take care and recording is useful.

I might publish my app, but I don't really want to add more features to it - there are plenty of apps out there that work as logbooks for people that want more.

If you're on iOS I find lightme light meter and logbook apps decent https://lightme.site/

Though they didn't do quite the thing I wanted, hence making my own (I care about what I metered AND what I shot, but also where I metered).
 
Back
Top