Did you forget #2...

S

stepheno

.....your mother. It doesn't take much, a card, a phone call and if she has moved on then just a thought.

I mention this because yesterday morning I took my mother to a Residential Home and only now do I really realise what I could and should have done for her before. Don't leave it too late and then regret.

regards

Excellent post there, which I'm sure gives us all pause for thought. My mum has long since gone, but I do know exactly what you mean.

Ahh Stepheno, reading your words brought tears to my eyes.
My teenage son - aka 'The mattress Hugger' actually remembered mothers day this year, (hmmm Thorntons!) think he was just trying to make up for forgetting my birthday in Feb!
My mate got a piece of folded card with a Daffodil sellotaped to the front, from her teenage son ... totally brilliant!
Dont think us moms expect anything really ... as you said, doesnt take much, to show we're still in your thoughts!

Mothers Day is an interesting subject in this house. From when I was tiny my Mum always insisted that she didn't want to observe it at all - we're not religious so that side of it means little, and her view has always been that she would rather I bought her flowers or chocolates or what have you when I felt like it, and showed appreciation that way, than on a set day because someone told me I should. An unusual view and certainly one that left me a little isolated at times at school in particular. None of the other children in the class could even begin to imagine not buying their Mum and Mothers day card & present......

.....fast forward a good few years and I met my Husband........along came March the first year we were together and I enquired whether he should get him Mum a card, and he promptly explained that his family had never observed Mothers day at all......! :whistle2:

So you're saying you both have the same mother?

... and I thought that sort of thing only happened this end of the country....

Witch said:
....and her view has always been that she would rather I bought her flowers or chocolates or what have you when I felt like it
Couldn't agree more...the unexpected is even more heartfelt.

regards

SammyC said:
So you're saying you both have the same mother?

... and I thought that sort of thing only happened this end of the country....

:shock:

well, come to think of it, he IS from Devon!! ;)

Never could understand "Mothers/Fathers/Valentines Day" , never bothered with them when I lived at home & don't bother with then now I'm married. When I am/was in the mood I buy/bought flowers/chocolates do/did special things for my Girlfriend/Mother/Wife , I don't need/want a "Day" to prompt/make me feel guilty.

It's just a load of commercial Bull*****

* that felt good

mrgubby said:
It's just a load of commercial Bull****** that felt good
Have you ever considered whether your mother/wife/girlfriend regard it as commercial bull****?

regards

well this year the daffs are not in full bloom yet so I had to buy my mum a bunch of flowers, not that I mind but we have a long standing joke going back to when I was at school and couldn't afford them.
every year since then I turn up with a bunch of daffs and she will say "Park or graveyard?"

Mothering Sunday has been overtaken by the Card and gift manufacturers but the pleasure my Mum got from home made cards from Great-grandchildren Grandchildren and of course what my wife had organised on my behalf was worth it.

Actually, for a change, you can try sending a birthday card to your mom on your own birthday. Just wish her:

Dear mom,
Happy Birthday to me. :)

Love,
Son/Daughter

Back