Didn't think I would be wanting another camera so soon

If you are going down the mirrorless route with two lenses you could do worse than look at a Fuji XE-2 with the XC 16-55 and XC 55-230 lenses

If you are going down the mirrorless route with two lenses you could do worse than look at a Fuji XE-2 with the XC 16-55 and XC 55-230 lenses

I had this set up and took some of my favourite photos of recent years with the XC 16-50, not so keen on the 50-230 though.
Lack of in body stabilisation led me away from Fuji, ok with the lenses mentioned, but lots of others didn't have OIS

Just looking at the Fuji X-E2 or something like that, for a couple of hundred. Just a case of pairing it with a reasonable zoom lens, at a reasonable cost. If this was possible, probably not.

Thanks for the suggestion and link. Only little niggle, would be no view finder. Just trawling through MPB now, and looking at mirrorless option.

Yes the GX80 has a EVF but the GX800 does not.

Just looking at the Fuji X-E2 or something like that, for a couple of hundred. Just a case of pairing it with a reasonable zoom lens, at a reasonable cost. If this was possible, probably not.

Only all in one is the 18-135mm, larger, heavier and not one of their best lenses.

David, check out a used Panasonic G80, a high quality small, light body. Can be used with your existing Pany 12-60 or for bigger focal range the Pany 14-140 mk2 is an impressive package.

Last edited:
David, check out a used Panasonic G80, a high quality small, light body. Can be used with your existing Pany 12-60 or for bigger focal range the Pany 14-140 mk2 is an impressive package.
Thanks Roy .... but according to the comparison sites, the G80 and the GX80 are pretty much the same thing, except the GX80 is about half the size! And I like that. :)

I do really like the sound of the Panasonic Leica 100-400. Maybe one day! And that would require the bigger body.

EDIT .... just found this pic

Last edited:
Thanks Roy .... but according to the comparison sites, the G80 and the GX80 are pretty much the same thing, except the GX80 is about half the size! And I like that. :)

I do really like the sound of the Panasonic Leica 100-400. Maybe one day! And that would require the bigger body.

Yes no argument the GX80 is smaller. I honestly think camera bodies can be too small ! I have owned a gx7 and a gx9 and I think they are too small for ‘comfort’ and especially if you want to ‘hang’ a sizeable lens off it (Leica 100-400mm ?) I have a gm5, a ‘tour de force’ in how to build a small (tiny) interchangeable lens camera but I only use it when small/light is the biggest consideration. G80 (imo) is just the perfect size, enough ‘real estate’ for grip and external controls plus a great evf. I have the g90 now, yes bigger than the g80 but I still prefer the g80 size. Seriously if you want to ‘get it right’ there is no substitute for ‘hands on’ experience but I’m sure you know that ? and we are not living in the best of times to achieve that are we ?

a few hundred does not go far with photography gear, you would probably need to get an older mirrorless with plasticy budget lens.

I would say fuji obviously

a few hundred does not go far with photography gear, you would probably need to get an older mirrorless with plasticy budget lens.

I would say fuji obviously

That is what I was planning to do, I will not pay silly money for cameras again.

I might have to re think my photography, even though I love spotting things in the distance, and trying to get a photo of whatever it is, that has caught my eye.

There isn't a Fujifilm lens that has a wide zoom range the M43 14-150 gives you the equivalent of 28 to 300 which probably covers most if not all you want to shoot - its roughly the same as putting an 18-200 on your current crop sensor Nikon's If the M43 lens is 14-140 Panasonic then it gives you 28-280 equivalence.

Fujifilm don't have a lens which duplicates that range, and they will be more expensive than the M43 offerings.

Don't change your shooting style, just find the right equipment that meets your needs

There isn't a Fujifilm lens that has a wide zoom range the M43 14-150 gives you the equivalent of 28 to 300 which probably covers most if not all you want to shoot - its roughly the same as putting an 18-200 on your current crop sensor Nikon's If the M43 lens is 14-140 Panasonic then it gives you 28-280 equivalence.

Fujifilm don't have a lens which duplicates that range, and they will be more expensive than the M43 offerings.

Don't change your shooting style, just find the right equipment that meets your needs

I have a D3300 with the 35mm1.8G permanently fixed to it, and the Canon G7X compact, but I have been leaving them both at home, for the last few months. Much preferring the D90 with the 28-300mm. I like what I can capture with it, wildlife and other interesting things, usually a little further away. I always do a few hours walk everyday, along the canal. Just the weight is starting to get to me. :(

I have a GX9 and a GX80. The GX80 has a 100-400mm just about permanently mounted and I don't have any handling issues. My right hand is on the small grip and ready to alter the aperture/shutter/exp comp and press the shutter and my left hand is under the lens supporting it and ready to work the zoom ring. No problem at all :D

I leave it by the window to take pictures of birds in the garden, planes going over, stuff like that.

That is what I was planning to do, I will not pay silly money for cameras again.

IMO the way to keep costs to the absolute minimum is to go for a cheap DSLR and lens and that's what you already have. You could go for a slightly more up to date body but that wont save you bulk or weight. Going smaller and possibly lighter/possibly not much lighter at all will mean MFT but it'll cost more. You could always go for MFT and mount a cheap manual film era lens and that'll be relatively cheap and give you reach but it'll only work well if you have the time to focus manually.

I have cheap film era 135mm and 70-210mm lenses and as MFT is a x2 crop system these give a FF equiv FoV of 270/400mm. I have used them on my MFT but not too often.

I've just looked on evil bay and there are manual focus film era 28-200mm lenses for £17-£22, buy it now. An adopter will cost something between £10-20.

Used Panasonic G2/3/5/6 with used 45-150 can be had pretty cheap and will be much lighter than a D90/28-300. Otherwsie what I sugested earlier - keep the D90 and change the lens. There is no magic bullet for light, versatile and cheap if you don't want a bridge camera.

IMO the way to keep costs to the absolute minimum is to go for a cheap DSLR and lens and that's what you already have. You could go for a slightly more up to date body but that wont save you bulk or weight. Going smaller and possibly lighter/possibly not much lighter at all will mean MFT but it'll cost more. You could always go for MFT and mount a cheap manual film era lens and that'll be relatively cheap and give you reach but it'll only work well if you have the time to focus manually.

I have cheap film era 135mm and 70-210mm lenses and as MFT is a x2 crop system these give a FF equiv FoV of 270/400mm. I have used them on my MFT but not too often.

I've just looked on evil bay and there are manual focus film era 28-200mm lenses for £17-£22, buy it now. An adopter will cost something between £10-20.
Used Panasonic G2/3/5/6 with used 45-150 can be had pretty cheap and will be much lighter than a D90/28-300. Otherwsie what I sugested earlier - keep the D90 and change the lens. There is no magic bullet for light, versatile and cheap if you don't want a bridge camera.

I suppose I should be seeing what I already have, I am sure I have some very old film lenses somewhere, probably stuffed at the back of the cupboard.

Back