Digital Camera for my Seven-year old?

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I would like to purchase a digital compact for my seven year old for Xmas - we are going to NZ this Xmas and I'd like to travel light on the old christmas prezzie front.

Being an avid 'togger myself I'd like something thats a split between image\quality\robustness\price, and would like to avoid the fisher price\elc 'my first camera' sort of thing....

Anybody have any recommendations or bought a digital compact for their own child?

Thanks!

My mums just assigned me the project of finding something similar, with a budget of £20. (they're neices & nephews, 3 of them!)

I found a vivitar 3.3mp on Ebuyer, yeah the quality isn't going to be great, but it's probably fine for a 7 year old, as it's going to get dropped, left places or lost in the end.

I suppose if they get into it, then they can upgrade from there.

Depends on your budget really :shrug:

saw 5mp camera on the bay for 14.99.....

cheap and wouldnt be bothered if it was trashed but Im not too sure on the quality....

bought my 2 girls a fuji f20 each. (aged 7 & 10)

Stuck a 2gb card in each, and let them loose.

They have a blast with them and the battery lfe is fantastic.

I got my daughter an Olympus SP-510 for her 8th birthday, she had been an avid user of a Creative Labs, webcam/Point and Shoot for 5 years previous. I took here to Jessops to handle the cameras and bought the one she was most comfortable with, her requirements were:-

1) A reasonable size, she didn't want a small camera with little buttons
2) Decent size LCD on the back
3) Big Zoom Range
4) Movie Mode with sound (lots of the budget cameras don't record sound)

My requirements were

1) Less than £150 - but it wasn't after we added bag and memory card, but don't tell my wife!

I am fortuante that she appreciates the value of such equipment and is very careful with it (and who can use it)

I would strongly suggest that you get your daughter to handle a few cameras, because as we all know - it's the advice we all give out - this is important. If it does feel right for her she won't want to use it as much.

In your shoes I would treat at Dixons or whatever in the airport on the journey out and get the camera tax free. She can then try some out and you can buy the one she is happiest with. Good use of that airport wait about time too!

Mr Perceptive

Back