Digital Picture Frames - adding comment to photos

Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently been touring Europe by bicycle – I now have 4000 plus digital “snaps” – my mother is probably the only person who will possibly want to view them all (and it would make her happy) – However, she is 80+ and computer/internet option is not on – solution would seem to be a “digital picture frame”

I have no experience of digital picture frames – my main concern would be to be able to add a simple caption for her – something like “date” “location” and “comment” in something like Picasa (familiar to me) or Photoshop Elements (unfamiliar to me)

1. Do digital picture frames display comments? – a wander round the websites of manufactures like Sony and Phillips does not seem to indicate that they do
  2. If they do what format/editing programme would be best for adding comment
  3. Is it possible to batch edit the photo information using MS excel in photo editing programmes– ie csv import or similar

I would probably go with something like Lightroom and the Mogrify plug in for this and add the caption onto the jpeg.

What editing software are you using at the moment?

You can add overlay text with IrfanView (freeware), based on Exif or IPTC tags, but it'd be simpler to edit the filenames and use those as the texts - they can be incorporated without the file extension.

Frames like this will play back movie formats, so you could use Slide Show Movie Maker (freeware) and add your own recorded commentary.

I've just picked out a copy of Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy, from the donated books box at my local post office ;)

Craikeybaby – My photo editing software is a mongrel collection of bits and pieces that came with scanners and cameras – my needs are (were) relatively unsophisticated - one of the reasons that I asked the question was that I was considering investing in editing software – a quick look would seem to indicate that Photoshop “proper” would be best – the elements versions seem to be dominated by a whole lot of automated features that I would not want to use

Your post has however opened my eyes to what is out there - Lightroom 2 (I see soon to be replaced by 3) would seem to be a very powerful tool - its difficult for me to see how mogrify works but I assume that you would batch edit the photos by placing a field with the necessary text attributes on a template and then pressing the button for output.

For someone like me with an engineering background EXIF, IPTC and XMP data would seem to be very useful – are there ways of batch editing it – I use XLS programmes/plug ins to edit/import/export/ data in and out of databases in my work so it ought to be a relatively straight forward thing in say Lightshop for example it would be quicker to batch geotag using an xl sheet rather than XMP edit interface

Photon – Irfanview would seem possibly to be what I would use in the short term – Im going to finish writing a journal of my trip (not quite in the Dervla Murphy League) and it might be a way that I can avoid cataloguing and captioning photographs more than once for different purposes –Picasa (my choice of web provider) seems to use the XMP description field – filenames would seem to be a clumsy way of doing it – and quite tedious

Thank you for your help - it has opened some interesting possibilities

Back