Digital print lab recommendations?

Well, I just wanted to say having no reply to my email and not a peep here on the thread I do not know what to make of the lack of the promised (?) feedback. Sadly I will likely not bother anymore and just use the other labs as needed in future.

Does anyone know if there is anything up with Sam's photolab at mo?

Ordered a print on 31 March, money taken from my account on 05 April, but still haven't received anything.

First time using Sam's so not impressed at the moment :shake:

That's a shame - Sam's not replying. I'd like to do an A2-ish poster, and their website says they're getting a wide Canon which can do them, and they'll take files in profiles other than sRGB (ie a way to exploit the printer full gamut).

I've signed up to their email news service but not had anything yet.

N6_ said:
Does anyone know if there is anything up with Sam's photolab at mo?

Ordered a print on 31 March, money taken from my account on 05 April, but still haven't received anything.

First time using Sam's so not impressed at the moment :shake:

have you phoned them?

Yes I've had some prints delivered a couple of weeks ago, all perfect also had a call from David about an issue my end. I always use them and I can't fault Sams, very supprised that people are having an issue with them..

I uploaded a batch to DSCL this morning and got an email this afternoon to say they had been despatched. Quality is fantastic from this lab and the only bother I had was this Xmas with the slow post issue which was out of their hands.

I'm fortunate enough to have a big Epson tomake large prints on (A4-A0), but I've used digitalab and DSCL in the past for anything smaller.

The quality was no-where near as good as the Epson, but as a high volume lab I figured they were ok ... until I tried printing some sample 6x4's on my document printer (Canon iP4850).

It was like chalk and cheese.

Will I still use them?
Sure - but not for any future client images .... which is a bit of a buttache as I want to outsource as much small printing as possible (and the big stuff too if possible)

I may give Sams a try as I see they have decent paper in stock too rather than usual Fuji paper (y)

A fiend of mine recommended SIM2000 Imaging recently, but haven't tried them yet

I use a few test images for all the labs I try out and compare them back to back.

It's probably the printing rather than the paper, but the results are nowhere near as good as from my (cheap) home printer that I tested with.
But then my objective is quality rather than getting prints printed and posted as fast as I can.

Last edited:
I've been using Peak Imaging recently for developing film and printing from digital. Just recently got a dozen 15" x 10" foamboard prints back. Very happy with them so far.

Still haven't received my prints and still no response from SAM's so strongly advise people stay away from them.

If there is a problem there then they really shouldn't be taking orders and people's money. :annoyed:

Still haven't received my prints and still no response from SAM's so strongly advise people stay away from them.

If there is a problem there then they really shouldn't be taking orders and people's money. :annoyed:

Seeing your post prompted me to look at "Sams" TP profile for when he was last logged in and it was at 14:45hrs today 2nd May. But no posting here bearing in mind the number of concerned 'posts' is a mystery???

If N6 would like to email me directly - as I cannot work out their identity.

We only charge people cards on dispatch of work....

Staying subscribed to see how this all works out, as I had no further promised feedback from what feels like ages ago???

The issue with SAMs has finally been resolved.

It seems as though the original print was dispatched but never arrived. My email enquiring about it was then missed.

David offered me a reprint free of charge, which arrived today.

After all that I must say I'm very happy with the print received. I sent the same image as a test to DSCL and SAMs. The DSCL print arrived two days later, was well packed and looked excellent, colour matching was good, as was the quality, although the paper was a little flimsy, but this wouldn't be an issue once mounted.

After comparing the two prints I would say that SAMs just has the edge. The colour matching on both were pretty much the same, but I would say that SAMs was just that bit sharper. Also the paper was thicker giving it just that bit more quality. Both came flat packed with DSCL packing being better.

Overall you wouldn't go far wrong with either of these labs, despite the issues with SAMs hopefully it was a one off.

Hope this helps :)

Hi N6

Thanks for posting a satisfactory update, glad you have had a result.

Back